Assessments etc and also working tax credits advice needed — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Assessments etc and also working tax credits advice needed

kami24
kami24 Community member Posts: 402 Pioneering
So I have moved onto esa as jsa were too pushy and nasty in the jobcentre. Today I have had a letter saying i need to go to the jobcentre and have a health and work conversation but what does this mean and why do you go and do I have a health assessment in future after this as well also its early and not in my town so how do i get there as i dont drive?? 

Comments

• kami24
    It isnt the work capability assessment 
  • kami24
    Do you still qualify for working tax credits if you were on esa and severe disability premium and PIP and start working more than 16 hours as they say you need to work at least 16 hours to get working tax credits??? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,324 Disability Gamechanger
    kami24 said:
    So I have moved onto esa as jsa were too pushy and nasty in the jobcentre. Today I have had a letter saying i need to go to the jobcentre and have a health and work conversation but what does this mean and why do you go and do I have a health assessment in future after this as well also its early and not in my town so how do i get there as i dont drive?? 
    You need to ring the number on the letter to ask what the appointment is for.

You can't claim working tax credits if you're claiming Income Related ESA. If you work more than 16 hours per week then your ESA will stop completely.

If the question is for yourself and you're planning on returning to work then you'll need to ring DWP to cancel your ESA once you start work. You'll then need to claim working tax credits with 1 month of your ESA stopping, otherwise you won't be able to claim tax credits.

You should also speak to your local CAB for further advice on the tax credits.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kami24
    Do i have to get another medical note for esa when this one has ran out?? 
  • poppy123456
    Yes, you'll need to continue to send them until you've had a face to face assessment and a decision is made on your claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • kami24
    What is the esa health assessment like i have mine next week. Also my rent is 560 pcm but i only get 400 from the council to cover it plus i have to pay the bills too im not sure how they expect you to live on that but there you go 
  • kami24
    I will send medical note again but doctor has no appointments and want to see me as i moved so I am new to them before they give me a new medical note
  • poppy123456
    During your assessment you'll be asked questions about your disability and how it affects your daily life. You'll be assessed on your ability to do any type of work.

You should have already sent evidence to support your claim when you returned the ESA50 form because they very rarely contact anyone for this.

You will need to continue to send in those fit/sick notes until a decision's been made. If you're late sending them then your ESA will stop after a certain date. You will receive a reminder before this happens.

For your housing benefit then you need to have a look at what the housing allowance rate it for your area. I believe you're receiving daily living PIP and you live alone because you now receive the SDP, as i remember. If this is correct then you'll be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate for your area. Check here what that is. https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/

You could ask for a discretionary housing payment to help with any shortfall of rent. For this you need to speak to your local council and ask them to send you a DHP form. There's no guarantee that you'll receive anything but if you're awarded it will be for a set time, then you'll need to re-apply. If you recently moved house then they may question your reasons for moving there if you couldn't afford the rent payments.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.