PIP report — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP report

Norbs66
Norbs66 Community member Posts: 49 Courageous
edited July 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello All
I had my pip assessment Weds, got text Thurs to say they have received my report so I called to get a copy which I received today. The assessor was a physiotherapist.
Her notes contradict the points she recommends. She omitted that I had a anxiety attack while in the assessment. I have scored 10 points care and 10 points mobility but understand that is a recommendation. From her notes it is clear I should have scored more but she has marked me for less which contradicts what she has written. Do the panel read the notes fully before making a decision or do they just pay attention to what she has scored. This is a nightmare. The report has awful grammar and she repeats herself in a couple of sections which is not relating to the descriptor she is referring to. 
Any advice please 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

There's no panel, it's a single person called a decision manager or case manager as they are also known as. He/she will read the report and they are supposed to look at the evidence that's been sent as well. They mostly go with the recommendations in the report, it's very rare for them to go against it.

You will need to wait for a decision to be made before requesting the MR but i'd also advise you to get some face to face advice before requesting this. No one on an internet forum can tell you if there's any risks to any award you may have by requesting the MR. It's difficult to advise without knowing exactly what's written in the report and how your conditions affect you.

This link will tell you what's available local to you for advice. https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2019
    @Norbs66 - I think that standard of the reports varies considerably - the grammar in mine was so poor that if it had been sent to me in my previous employment I would have sent it back for correction. At least two whole paragraphs made no sense - not in terms of evidence, or conclusion, but grammatically they were meaningless. Another part seemed to have been cut from another page. DWP do not seem to quality check the reports.

As @poppy123456 says you need to wait for the decision letter before working out the way forward.

Don't forget that if the CM goes with the recommendation then you will most likely get both a daily living and mobility award..
  • Norbs66
    Thank you @Cristobal and @poppy123456.
    I submitted a copy of my ESA medical report from August 2018 when I was moved to the support group and that assessment was carried out by a doctor. I also supplied a letter from my GP which details my conditons and that I am limited with regards to walking because of Spinal Degenerative disc disease. I also have IBS, bi-lateral carpal tunnel but cant wear the splints as I need to use crutches at home and out, Depression and anxiety. In the assessors report she says I can grip the crutches so can obviously do things. I have no choice to grip the crutches and take the pain as I need them to stand up and move around. My report from ESA medical states I am severly disabled and a wheelchair would not be of any benefit to me because of my hands. So hopefully they read the ESA report and doctors letter 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    If it's the moving around part of mobility PIP that you scored the points in then a wheel chair isn't taken into consideration for this. It's your ability to stand and move around that's taken into consideration.

The criteria for ESA and PIP is different because they are 2 totally different benefits and the support group criteria for mobilising is walking no more than 50 metres but they take into consideration your ability to use a self propel wheelchair, which is different to PIP.

Letters from GPs aren't the best evidence to send to support a claim because they very rarely know exactly how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @Norbs66 - decide what to do when you get the decision letter.

Can I suggest as well that you look up exactly what the PIP descriptor are - they're available on line - and how best to evidence them if you decide to ask for a mandatory reconsideration.

For example when you say you sent "a letter from my GP which details my conditons and that I am limited with regards to walking" doesn't sound like it will add much, unless your GP has an opinion as to how far you can walk, whether you need aids etc.

Please post again when you get your decision, or if you need anything further..

Good luck!
  • Norbs66
    Thank you Cristobal and Poppy123456.
    I will let you know what happens 
  • gruber
    gruber Posts: 29 Listener
    You can but hope.
    I also had an assessment carried out by a doctor for the DWP when claiming another type of disability benefit. It stated clearly that my mental health was so damaged that it was agreed that I had lost 40% of my brain function.

My PIP assessment determined that there was absolutely nothing wrong with my mental health.
    Guess what the DWP case manager chose?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.