Returning my Motability vehicle — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Returning my Motability vehicle

Options
matkins
matkins Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited July 2019 in Transport and travel
Building up to challenging PIP decision to only award me standard mobility rate which means I have to return my Motability vehicle.  This scheme has been my lifeline built my confidence provided me with independence I didnt have before and as normal a life as I could ever have hoped for.  I cannot afford a car like that and all the associated costs so I may have to give up my job unless I can find something closer to hime although I don't relish the idea of using public transport!!! 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @matkins Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

Sorry to hear this. I have been in similar circumstances.

Understand every thing.

I am one of the team of community champions. We guide, advise and help new members who join the community.

Please can I ask have Motability been in touch. There usually send a covering letter explaining the circumstances and options they can help and advise with.

Enclose a booklet outlying options.

Helpline  0300 456 4566.

I know other members of our community have experienced this including my self.

I lost my car last September having been on the scheme a long time around twenty years.

Have disability of hands and feet problems walking.

I want to reassure there are some answers.

Some of these I have looked at .

One being looking at renting a car might be an option.

You can get three year contract hire. From car rental companies.

Look on line.  See what there is in your area.

One other was speaking to taxi companies.  This is something I use all the time.

My taxi firm is aware of my situation and others. If you take into the cost of the fare.  They do want your business might be worth contacting as against the costs of your car.

Only cost is the fare.  Something to think about.

One other thing I did had to adapt.  Order every thing from shopping to prescriptions.  To household and anything else need.

That helps a lot. Signing to some of the supermarkets and Amazon.

I hope that gives you some comfort.

I would also think about what your work might offer. Speak to your colleagues or someone who you could talk to. Welfare or any body could help you in work.

Work assisted schemes.  

How about friends or family ?  

No one wishes to be losing their job.

Please if we can help further please get in touch . Happy to be supportive.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • matkins
    matkins Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you for your useful comments. I will take this all on board. I learnt to drive an automatic having struggled for years with public transport and driving a manual car was extremely difficult for me.  Dricing has given me so much independence and confidence and enabled me to build a career and own my own home with my family. I accept there are so may options but I dont want to become isolated by working from home and shopping online. However I guess I will have to make some sacrifices and compromises. In the first instance i intend to appeal the decision but I will do my research in the meantime. Thanks again for the support.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Hello @matkins   Thank you very much for reply.

I did as well. Drive an automatic.  I can not use buses. Had problems with people on buses.

I was only making suggestions on line shopping. Because the saving you make. I signed up to TESCO only under £4 a month.

Saved £40 a month on fuel plus car parking lastly my time.  All the hassle of shopping.  

Takes me a hour on line and delivered next day .  In the comfort of my home early morning usually.

Use that money for other things.  

Deliver late up to 11pm. Does not stop me being independent.

Same with everything else.  

I am just saying to you.  You will find away you be still be able to do the things you wish to.

Including getting to work. You will succeed.  The most important thing in my opinion is to be strong.

I just wanted to say that.  There have been times glad did not have the car.  

Taxis can for example park outside places where you might not be able to go. Bank the other day no problems with traffic wardens no problems with car parking charges. Waited for me .

Same with Post office.  Which is great.  

Cost me not a lot because you use your PIP benefit as taxi fare.  I got standard rate.  

Please can I suggest get some help with your PIP decision.  I would also talk to CAB or other welfare support.

Always useful.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Hartley
    Hartley Posts: 114 Courageous
    Options
    "Dricing (sic)has given me so much independence and confidence and enabled me to build a career and own my own home with my family" end quote:

Please do not think i'm being snide , but if you own your own home and business ,why(and i know PIPS isnt means tested)do you need the tax payers money? isnt a car rental £50 a month all in/?

Im curious! its much like child benefit..even if youre on 100k a yr..you still get it..Doesnt seem fair!
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @matkins

Good Morning I am another one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

I am very very sorry to hear about your pip decision!!!!

Yes I am also in the same boat ?‍♀️ (Ship)

I used to use the “Access to Work Scheme” before I got to the point where I had to take “Early Retirement” 

Here’s some info for you below:

https://www.gov.uk/access-to-work
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Only just seen your post and wondering how things turned out for you.

Brightness