CLASSICAL MUSIC AND MENTAL HEALTH WELLBEING — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

CLASSICAL MUSIC AND MENTAL HEALTH WELLBEING

thespiceman
thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
Hello every one. Who is a fan of the Proms.?  On the TV last night.  Also during the months of August into September.

Thought I ask any one uses like I do Classical Music to help their mental wellbeing.

I thought a long time ago used to get stressed, anxious most mornings. This being the amount of terror stricken and mental harmful TV.

On some channels the B.B.C being the worst all crime and danger and not one feel good programme. Frightening and scary.

Living on my own never easy so turned to Classic FM every morning you know my mental health yes some days fragile.

Realized a lot more.  Need to de stress out and have the soothing sounds of Classical music.

A lot of the Classical music you will recognise as used constantly in commercials and adverts.  Also Films and Tv shows.

Flower duet From Lakme  by Delibes.  Used by British Airways.

Suite No3 in D major Air on a G string  by Bach.  Hamlet ad.

Symphony no 9 From The New World by Dvorak.   Hovis Ad.

Per Una Cabeza by Gardel.  Used in the film   Scent of A Woman.

Intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana   by Mascagni  . Used in the Film Raging Bull.  One of my favourites.

Are examples.

If you think well this is too high brow too cultured for me.  Its always worth listening to Classic FM.  Have a range of soothing music all tastes.

I like my Italian composers.  Puccini, Verdi and Rossini.  Others as well.  Mozart Clarinet Concerto and Barber Adagio for Strings.

In the early twenties George Gershwin composed Rhapsody in Blue the most innovated and amazing combination of Jazz and Classical.

Plus like lot of the music that is just really relaxing.  New composers and like what I hear.

There has been studies that proved  coloration between  Classical music and your mental health well being.

In fact Classic FM have produced a large number of CD's.  Designed to de stress and relax have been buying a few.

Are also doing many in relation to Mindfulness and end of the day you need to unwind.

Trying to get those. Often on Amazon .

Please can I ask what are your favourite pieces of Classical music to unwind to.

Love to hear and enjoy the Proms. 

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
Recipes

Comments

• dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    Hi @thespiceman
    music has been part of human evolution even before we developed speech.
    the various rhythms that we can hear can be part of or reflect how we react to situations emotionally.
    You could have a look at some of the recent research regarding music and human development, especially the research done in recent years by Nina Kraus and her lab 

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2019
    @thespiceman
    I read a article on the benefits of classical music once. Look at the research studies on the effects of music. 
  • dolfrog
    @thespiceman
    I read a article on the benefits of classical music once. Look at the research studies on the effects of music. 
    you could have a look at the research papers listed on "Neural Encoding of Music" at https://brainvolts.northwestern.edu/music/ 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    How can we use music to help disabled children?
  • dolfrog
    Music can be used in a variety of ways, and there are even more types of disabilities. 
    As with most issues there is no one size fits all. 
    Music can help relaxation, exercise, etc. 
  • GettinOlde
    GettinOlde Community member Posts: 495 Pioneering
    edited July 2019
    I have to admit that I am not a great fan of classical music having first being introduced to Holst's The Planets at school - I found it a little droll, but what I do find uplifting are pieces like Ravel's Bolero and similar.
    This video of of a flash-mob performing Beethoven's Ode to Joy bought a tear to my eye watching the kids enjoy it. I think the little girl up the lamppost may be the conductor's daughter.

Resident joker - not to be taken too seriously ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for sharing this @thespiceman! Really interesting!
    Scope

• thespiceman
    Hello @April2018mom   Thank you for your question.

I had former friends who had disabled children who I would be around. If we were for example eating a lunch would put some classical music on.

This would help them to relax and enjoy their lunch. Not blasting out but in the background.

Quiet and soothing helps the digestion.  Of course quiet soothing music combined with eating means they would concentrate more on eating their food.

Also if they were young fall asleep.

I used to visit Italian friends and music especially classical was on while we were eating.

As it was when I was young and up to my twenties. Classical music always played. During Meal times.

No TV.  That was reserved after evening meal.

Even now play Classic FM while eating.

Sort of Music to play find what you like . Many types out there. Buy one of those compilation CD's .

Hope you enjoy.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • thespiceman
    Hello @GettinOlde   Thank you for the clip and your comments.

The Holst Planet Suite probably my favourite .  I like Venus bringer of Peace.

Play the Jupiter Planet of Jollity a lot helps the moods.

I used to take one time some friends to Opera or concerts never seen a classical concert or Opera before.

Loved every minute of it.

Take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes

Brightness