More than 3 named drivers? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

More than 3 named drivers?

Options
MsMollyOHara95
MsMollyOHara95 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited July 2019 in Transport and travel
hello. I understand you’re allowed two named drivers as part of your motability lease, and one extra for a fee. I was wondering, would I be able to pay for a 4th and a 5th named driver? I do not have one individual carer but my mum & step dad, my boyfriend and my dad  all help me. I would be a named driver but ideally, it would make my life a lot less stressful if all 4 of them could be named on my car. I have good specific reasons for each person and circumstance. However, I will just say that the car would live and remain in my possession, so nobody would use it or be able to use it to benefit themselves and not me. I won’t be able to drive all the time and I rely on all of them individually and for different reasons. I am going to call RSA motability tomorrow and ask but I was curious to see if anybody else has already done so. For clarification, I do not yet have a motability lease. I went looking at cars today with my dad, and we have found a suitable one. I just have to decide which 3 people should be named and who should be left off. I understand that temporary drivers are allowed but I see all these people regularly, and they’ll all be helping me use my car for my own personal needs. Therefore temporary drivers insurance would not be suitable for us. Thank you for ready this much gobbledygook. I hope this makes sense, I am very tired. Goodnight!

Comments

• MsMollyOHara95
    Options
    I thought I’d add, I am happy to pay or jump through any hoops to make it happen (metaphorically speaking of course, there isn’t enough painkillers in the world). 
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @MsMollyOHara95

Pleased to meet you.

You can flip flop the named drivers as the need arises.

By way of example my wife and I are the named drivers, but sometimes I drop off and name either my son or daughter.

You need them to be with you, when you phone RSA, as they are asked questions, this is free.

You can add drivers for a fee £75 pa.

There is also a scheme you can have multiple drivers, not sure of costs.

Give RSA a ring, I have always found them very helpful.

No jumping through hoops!!
  • MsMollyOHara95
    Options
    That is way too difficult and not practical. I don’t want to have to phone them every time my step dad takes me shopping or my dads taking me to a hospital appointment. Did you read everything I stated or did you skim?
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    Options
    Do you get out and about on your own at all?    If the answer's no then you might be better removing your name from the insurance policy, thereby creating an extra space for a named driver of your choice.  Obviously only you can answer that question but contact Motability for their advice. 

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• Imogen_Steele
    Imogen_Steele Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community!
    I have an open insurance policy for my Motability Car as I employ several assistants who all need to drive my car. I am not sure that this would work for you with all your named drivers being family or friends but it would definitely be worth enquiring whether your insurance policy can put something similar in place. I would advise that you phone Motability as I have always found them extremely helpful. I hope this helps and wish you the best of luck with your new Motability car.

• MsMollyOHara95
    Options
    I spoke to them this afternoon and they said they wouldn’t allow me to have the Open Policy plan. My named drivers would be family members and I don’t get independent allowance, so this counted me out for it. She said the max is 3 named drivers. I am learning to drive so once I pass I will be using the car when I can, but ideally it would be easier if the people I listed would be named. It is all circumstance based reasons but they happen a lot because of my conditions. I won’t be able to drive every day even after I pass, and I doubt I’ll be able to take long journeys. I am just going to put my SO, myself and flip a coin for one of the remaining family members. I just hope that they’re quick when it comes to changing that 3rd name when I need it
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,027 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A named driver can be changed at anytime but the person you want to add needs to be with you when you ring to add them. If they aren't with you then you won't be able to add them.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi, this is one of the main reasons I wouldnt want a mobility car. I bought an ex mobility car at a bargain price. it is a fabulous car. I have 5 people who can drive me.

Brightness