autistic teen — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

autistic teen

autisticdad
autisticdad Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited July 2019 in Autism and neurodiversity
I am a single dad of a 14 year autistic son. He doesn't want to go no where unless he feels fit. Doesn't socialize. He would rather play on the PC and use his IPad to talk to friends on the discord app. He sleeps late in day and stays up all night. Eats when he wants. I have a social worker and CPS involved with him. He had truency last year missing school. Noe has to repeat 8th grade. I spend most of time worrying on him. I do volunteer work and looking for employment. What can I do to help him? He does see a therapist as well. Any help would be welcomed.

Comments

• M_Anthony
    M_Anthony Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 309 Pioneering

Hello and welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear that you are having difficulties with your son and his school attendance. You can only do your best, it is not you or your sons fault.

While other people on the forum may be able offer you more advice when they see this, if you haven't already been in contact with The National Autistic Society, they have a page covering difficulties with school attendance for autistic people. The link is below:

https://www.autism.org.uk/about/in-education/exclusion/school-refusal-strategies.aspx

Their opening times and contact details are:

Monday to Thursday 10am-4pm and Friday 9am-3pm

020 7833 2299

nas@nas.org.uk

I hope this helps.

Anthony

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello

Perhaps ask to see a nutritionist? Also @M_Anthony provided you with good advice above. Does he has a social worker or not? I would also ask for respite care. For this you require a social worker. Contact them tomorrow first thing for advice and support. 
  • autisticdad
    autisticdad Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I just feel stressed.. I am a single dad. His mom passed away oct 2012 from a blood clot. I am doing everything I can to do things right. I am seeking employment now. And I have been without a car for 9 mos. And it is hard here. I have a social worker for us,a counsler for him and I. Make regular apts for he and I. And some days I just cant think what is important. 
  • M_Anthony
    edited July 2019
    I think the best thing for now would be as April2018mom said If you contact your local council, or speak to the social worker they may be able to offer you respite/carers breaks. It would give you short term breaks from caring for your son. 
  • M_Anthony
    Carers Trust has centres in the UK that offer employment services for carers. You could try this link and enter your postcode or area in the page for a centre that may be in your area.

https://carers.org/article/getting-work
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • April2018mom
    Also see this link
    https://www.ambitiousaboutautism.org.uk/understanding-autism/independence/making-friends

How are you today? If you have not done so already, get in contact with NAS. 
  • Merclondon
    Merclondon Community member Posts: 28 Connected
    it’s so tough being a single parent to a child with Autism , been on my own just me and my son a long time , no I don’t know if I’m doing the right thing , no one there by my side to guide  me , every day is a challenge , and brings with it a whole new set of problems , It sure is tough ! I can’t advise you as I don’t know myself but just wanted to let you know you are not alone 
  • April2018mom
    it’s so tough being a single parent to a child with Autism , been on my own just me and my son a long time , no I don’t know if I’m doing the right thing , no one there by my side to guide  me , every day is a challenge , and brings with it a whole new set of problems , It sure is tough ! I can’t advise you as I don’t know myself but just wanted to let you know you are not alone 
    Do you have a social worker?
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @autisticdad and welcome to the forum.

Can I please clarify if you are in the US, or the UK? 

Scope is a UK charity as are many of the members, so much of the advice given is UK based. I ask because it is extremely unusual for UK schools to hold a child back for a year, as it is for UK parents to refer to which grade their children are in. Also while CPS in the UK means Crown Prosecution Services in the US it means Child Protection Services, which would not surprise me if your son has lost a lot of schooling.

If you are US based I know there used to be some great autism forums which were more US based and could try and find a couple for you. Plus the support advice may change depending what state you are in.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

Brightness