Water meters — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Water meters

GettinOlde
GettinOlde Community member Posts: 495 Pioneering
The water board's coming to install me a meter tomorrow - has any singles/couples found any financial advantage in having a meter installed?
Resident joker - not to be taken too seriously ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comments

• swilber
    swilber Community member Posts: 26 Courageous
    Hi GettinOlde, I have gained. I am with Seven Trent and my first bill after meter installation showed a refund and monthly charge reduction.  Good Luck :)
  • GettinOlde
    @swilber Glad to hear that :D
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi we had our first water meter installed last Monday. Our previous payment was £47 a month. We`re now on £30 a month and it will reduce after  3 months if we use less. We`re a bit manic about water usage just now, but we`ll settle down I`m sure!
  • GettinOlde
    edited July 2019
    My water is £57.87pm for singularly occupying a 2-bed maisonette. I'm really struggling with this UC/ESA/LCW debacle.
  • pollyanna1052
    sounds like you really should do better with a meter. They are putting them in free in our area. It used to cost £90. We have the option to have it taken out in a year.
  • GettinOlde
    Wessex Water gives you the option to go back if you are unhappy after two years.
  • pollyanna1052
    you`re quite a trek from us in West Yorkshire
  • GettinOlde
    Ooh arr - I be down in Zumerzet me lover.
  • pollyanna1052
  • GettinOlde
    Well, that was quick - only 15 minutes to fit a water meter.
  • pollyanna1052
    yeh our`s was quick too.

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I have water meter pay £28 a month in 2 bed bungalow with myself and my son. It does sound like you are paying a lot. Think most people see reduction in cost with meter especially those smaller or single households. What concerns me is all the money we have been paying to water companies over and above the cost of the supply of this. 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I've never not had a water meter so can't compare to rates...  But as someone with excessive washing/cleaning rituals and bowel issues meaning lots of toilet flushes I use a lot more water than most single people.  

I'm currently paying £29 a month with Anglian Water so your rates do seem very high, I can't imagine you'll be paying anywhere near that with the meter. 
  • GettinOlde
    edited July 2019
    But as someone with excessive washing/cleaning rituals and bowel issues meaning lots of toilet flushes I use a lot more water than most single people.
    Excellent, that's what I wanted to hear - thank you. ?????
    Interestingly, from the handbook that Wessex Water fitter left me ...

• easy
    easy Scope Member Posts: 670 Pioneering
    I had a water meter put in almost a year ago. It has saved me lots of money as it was £52+ per month and is now under £20. I do not waist water but I am not obsessed with saving it . I just use it as needed. I would always advise it if you live alone, even if you are a bit heavy with it. Remember you can always go back to a standing charge if you don't get on with it and you are within the permitted time. It is 2 years here.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    But as someone with excessive washing/cleaning rituals and bowel issues meaning lots of toilet flushes I use a lot more water than most single people.
    Excellent, that's what I wanted to hear - thank you. ?????
    Interestingly, from the handbook that Wessex Water fitter left me ...

That is interesting, I'd never heard of that scheme before.  I've just checked and Anglian Water offer the same thing.  For me personally it would cost about £60 extra per year than my current metered water but I'm sure it's useful for some people.

Brightness