Can my wife get Carers Allowance? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can my wife get Carers Allowance?

Bingo
Bingo Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
I have just been awarded the standard PIP daily rate for daily living and the enhanced mobility rate.  It would appear that she qualifies as she does pretty much everything for me which includes making all meals, washing clothes etc, going shopping for me, assisting with dressing and bathing, pretty much a full time job really.  As a result she does not work so has no income although we do have savings (I dont think its means tested though).  Either way all this adds up to over 35 hours a week easily.

I am going to get her to fill out the online application but just wondered if anyone had any advice before she does.  Do you think we will be successful?  I have heard it takes some time to come through but it will be back dated, is this correct?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Yes, she'll be able to claim Carers allowance because she doesn't work. Claims can take between 8-12 weeks and will be backdated to the start of your PIP award but you must make sure she claims within 3 months of the PIP award decision.

If she does work at all in the future then she must make sure she doesn't earn more than £123 per week after deductions.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Bingo
    Thanks for that.  Ill get her to take a look at the forms then.
  • Bingo
    She has just filled out the online forms. Very straight forward.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Well done Bingo, your wife will also get her NI stamp paid towards her state pension if eligible. 
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @Bingo

Just another point on CA.

Your wife will receive National Insurance credits, that will count towards her state pension.

Check what support is available for her from your local council.

Take a look at Carers UK web site, they have lots of information and advice.

Hope this helps.
  • Bingo
    wilko said:
    Well done Bingo, your wife will also get her NI stamp paid towards her state pension if eligible. 
    Oh right.  I wasnt aware of that. Will look into it if she is successful.  The only thing that was confusing on the forms was it asked for the date I made my pip claim which was back in May which I gave which my PIP has been paid and backdated to but it also asked for the date when she first started having to care for me at the level she does now which neither of us could really remember but it was roughly May 2015 so I just put that.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    The reason they ask the date she started caring for you is because of the PIP award, if a person isn't caring for someone at the start of the benefit award then it wouldn't be backdated. Of course, even though she's been caring for you for all those years, it won't make any difference to the award being backdated any further.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Bingo
    Thanks Poppy for clearing that up.  I dont know why I never applied ages ago to be honest.  Ive been a bit of state for some time now really.  I guess its one of these things. I would be more than happy for  her to just get it and maybe back dated to May this year.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Fingers crossed for your and your wife @Bingo. Hope she hears quickly! 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.