Lightest active folding wheelchair question. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Lightest active folding wheelchair question.

Friendlyghost
Friendlyghost Community member Posts: 28 Courageous
Well. Here I am hoping to pick some brains..

My current manual chair is only a karma ergo live. Who's paperwork says that's a frame of 8kg plus whatever the fancy 3 spoke wheels weigh & I'm realising that's way too heavy.

I kniw ridgid frames are far lighter & if space wasn't such an issue I'd save up for the fancy sub4 chair..
But whatever I have has to fold. :(
I spent hours searching & everyone claims to be the lightest.. And they don't say if the list weight is plus or minus wheels...

So I'm asking any fellow wheel users what they have or think the lightest folding option might be :)

Thanks. :) 

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    We have a Quickie at home. I recommend contacting the company to ask. 
    Here is another tip. The company website should provide information on the dimensions etc of the wheelchair. Have a look there. Hopefully your questions will be answered. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2019
    Hi @Friendlyghost, I have a Quickie Xenon (they only have newer models now) and I have found it to be really light, as well as being foldable. Due to the folding mechanism being close to the seat, it nearly has the rigidity of a rigid chair. This has been really beneficial!
    Scope

• Matt_Scope
    Matt_Scope Scope Posts: 56 Pioneering
    I would agree that Qiuckie are generally a good bet and do a wide range oi chairs, might want to check out Kuschall too,, some of the high end chairs they do are pretty light due to an unusual and pretty minimal frame design that also allows for  a folding mechanism that is quite different to many other chairs. 
    You are right though, all of the lightest chairs are fixed frame and it is a trade off between that lightness and rigidity which you get with a fixed frame against the convenience of a folding chair which is often the biggest factor in choosing a chair.  Good luck, always interested in hearing what chairs people have and why .   
  • April2018mom
    edited August 2019
    I’ve heard positive things about the Tilite.
    When we were looking for a wheelchair last summer, I talked to people and called the company to ask questions. In my original post, I meant Tilite not Quickie sorry. What will you use the chair for? My first recommendation is to contact NHS wheelchair services to arrange a appointment. You can find more information here on selecting and funding a wheelchair- https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/care-services-equipment-and-care-homes/walking-aids-wheelchairs-and-mobility-scooters/
    https://www.which.co.uk/later-life-care/home-care/out-and-about/choosing-a-wheelchair-awudm6w9jbkz

• airbusA346
    airbusA346 Scope Member Posts: 19 Connected
    I've been trying to get a lighter more active orientated wheelchair from the NHS wheelchair service, because one of the reasons is everytime I get the chair in and out of my car it's causing great pain with my back.  So far the NHS will only offer me one chair which is no lighter and in my opinion is an inferior chair to my 15 year old Invacare Action 3.

The NHS wheelchair services response is I will have to purchase my own chair then.
  • April2018mom
    In that case, I suggest looking at this useful guide on chairs https://www.which.co.uk/later-life-care/home-care/out-and-about/choosing-a-wheelchair-awudm6w9jbkz
    Alternatively you can contact UK special needs organisations to see if they can help you. Another option is to get in contact with this UK wheelchair company https://www.uk-wheelchairs.co.uk/ and find out more. Hopefully you can buy a chair soon! Amazon also sell wheelchairs- have a look there as well. Make sure to read reviews and pay attention to the specifications of the chair. Ask questions. Test out a few models. Are you a member of any Facebook support groups or not? 
    Your local hospital may also be willing to help you. 
  • Friendlyghost
    Hi everyone. 
    Airbus. I'm not allowed any NHS items. My current GP has decided that I don't really have cp im just lazy and overweight. And since my mom refused any equipment when I was little the other GPS in the practice say its not worth wasting NHS money helping me now.. 
    And my mobility is so limited now I can't even get anywhere to change surgery's!? ?

Thsnks for the suggestions everyone. I'll look at all chairs mentioned :) 
  • April2018mom
    edited August 2019
    Then your best option is to get in contact with the company directly. Ask questions and discuss wheelchairs. Make notes on each one. Test out some as well.
    Send them a email or call tomorrow. Have you approached your local council or not? They might also be able to help you. Also this company can help https://www.careco.co.uk/
    Of course if all other options are out of the question- you could always try fundraising. As a last ditch option, you could even have a go at making your own wheelchair. Look at all of your options however. Have you heard about the One Big Day event? https://www.motability.co.uk/news-views-and-events/one-big-day/
    This company also makes wheelchairs. Maybe try giving them a call tomorrow morning or look at the site. 
    http://www.odelmobility.co.uk/
  • Friendlyghost
    Apri 
    Making your own?
     Wow as fun as that would be I wouldn't know where to start!
    Not sure how the council would be any use I can't even get them to do basic repairs or maintainance on the place I live. So I don't kmow if they would do anything actually helpful. 
    But your the 2nd person to suggest asking them. So can I ask what your council dose? 
    Not sure about fundraising. It would feel wrong.. I shouldn't be anyone else's proplem.
    Thsnks for the links :smile:
  • April2018mom
    edited August 2019
    Apri 
    Making your own?
     Wow as fun as that would be I wouldn't know where to start!
    Not sure how the council would be any use I can't even get them to do basic repairs or maintainance on the place I live. So I don't kmow if they would do anything actually helpful. 
    But your the 2nd person to suggest asking them. So can I ask what your council dose? 
    Not sure about fundraising. It would feel wrong.. I shouldn't be anyone else's proplem.
    Thsnks for the links :smile:
    I did not contact my council. After learning that NHS services couldn’t order my son a wheelchair I decided to look at other options. I contacted my local university’s engineering department and asked if anyone could build a wheelchair. I watched videos too and read articles on the topic. 
    https://www.karmanhealthcare.com/homemade-wheelchair/
    Hope this is helpful!
  • jose2
    jose2 Community member Posts: 127 Pioneering
    @Friendlyghost. I used to have a go-go,it was so blinking heavy for me to get into my doorway(nearly 9st in weight)even dismantling it nearly caused me to have a heart attack,so did a lot of research on the lightest scooters,and I bought  an E-foldi scooter ,it is 3 wheeled,and it folds up just like a suitcase,it can even turn into a chair for use say in a cafe.The only downside I would say is you have to stride your leg over bar in the middle when it is fully erected(I just lift my leg over bar) feet on peddles and away I go,with my little boarder terrier running at the side of me,(she gets in the zone when we get going ,she loves it as much as me)  ,it does 4-8mph and on a good day I could get 25mls on a fully charged battery.Other 2 downsides are don't get front wheel stuck in dips in soft ground or pot holes and the other is the price.For me this is so light and easy to put up and fold up,then just pull it up over my step and park it in my doorway neatly folded up against the wall.There is a video on you tube and watch how it works and who invented it, blinking marvellous .People laugh when they see me on it,(who cares !, I don't ) as its so like a little motorbike,perhaps I am just a 70 yr old female frustrated motorbiker at heart ! 
    Hope this may help.
  • Friendlyghost
    Oh I heard of those. Scooters. 
    Wonder if my scooter insurance would cover that ☺

• jose2
    jose2 Community member Posts: 127 Pioneering
    Hi @Friendlyghost, I would give them a ring and ask if that would be possible for you to transfer insurance from one scooter to another,could be that what amount you pay for new scooter maybe higher or lower than you pay already ,also if you would like a  £ 100 discount on the scooter just quote this email address- efoldi.com/JCooper138,and could be that scooter will save you at least £100 towards, if any extra insurance money needed. All the best of luck .
  • April2018mom
    Hello

Give them a call and find out. Ask about transferring insurance. Best of luck to you! 
  • Friendlyghost
  • TomBromberger
    TomBromberger Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    edited September 2022
    [Removed by moderator - advertising]
  • Poppy_
    Poppy_ Community Volunteer Host Posts: 192 Pioneering
    Hi, I also had this issue, with looking for a lightweight chair, and I used the NHS voucher, so I could pick the chair I wanted. I got an RGK Octane FX, which is a folding chair, but is so light, and works like a rigid chair, in being easy to push. It also folds up really small, which helps when you have a small boot, like me. My chair weighs around 8kg, although I have some modifications that add some weight, at my own request, so it may be lighter. Out of all of the chairs I have had over the years, the RGK has been the best for me. 
    Poppy_
    Community Volunteer Host with a passion for reading.

Brightness