just had letter — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

just had letter

david1958
david1958 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
I have just had a letter telling me I owe £50 to them, I get a pension of £438 a month and apart from pip and ESA nothing else. So how can I owe money. The letter was so scary if I don't get a reply to them by 19/8 they will stop it all again. I cant go through all of that again had to do a appeal in 2018 as it was all stopped in 2017. The stress is so much. Has anyone else had this happen to them.  

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @david1958 does the letter state a season why you need to pay money back?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • david1958
    edited August 2019
    Just had a letter today saying I owe them £50, how can that be as all I get is a pension from work of £458. a month. On top of that I do get pip . Has anyone else had a letter like this. Its was really scary and has got me well on edge again.  
  • david1958
    They say that my pension is to high so I cant get it , have to run a house on that and pay bills as well
  • david1958
    Went to appeal over it all last year as well

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @david1958, you got a letter but who was it from? The council or the DWP, maybe you are getting housing benefits and your private or state pensions take you over the limit.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Are you aware you posted twice?
    What does the letter say? Does it state a reason or not? If not call them and ask. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    david1958 said:
    I have just had a letter telling me I owe £50 to them, I get a pension of £438 a month and apart from pip and ESA nothing else. So how can I owe money. The letter was so scary if I don't get a reply to them by 19/8 they will stop it all again. I cant go through all of that again had to do a appeal in 2018 as it was all stopped in 2017. The stress is so much. Has anyone else had this happen to them.  
    More information is needed to be able to help you.

Where was the letter from?

Are you claiming Income Related ESA or Contributions based or Contributions based with an Income related top up?

Did they know about your pension?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • KG100
    KG100 Community member Posts: 179 Pioneering
    edited August 2019
    I also get a pension and each year I have to notify DWP of any pension increase.
    They then adjust the ESA payments.
    So as the pension goes up they take a bit off the benefit payments. 
    They should send you a letter each April or May to fill in and you also have to send them your new pension details which they check. 
  • KG100
    You also have to supply them with your pension providers details and your pension number.
    I've never had any problems with them but sometimes I get the DWP letter several weeks before my pension increase details !!

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    Pensions affect Income Related £1 for £1.

If @david1958 is claiming Contribution based ESA then any pension over £85 per week will affect the amount he can claim. £438 per month worked out as a weekly rate is £101. £16 per week over the maximum amount allowed before it affects Contributions based ESA which means that the ESA will be reduced by 50% of the excess, so the pension will be reduced by £8 per week.

All changes must be reported.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • KG100
    Pensions affect Income Related £1 for £1.

If @david1958 is claiming Contribution based ESA then any pension over £85 per week will affect the amount he can claim. £438 per month worked out as a weekly rate is £101. £16 per week over the maximum amount allowed before it affects Contributions based ESA which means that the ESA will be reduced by 50% of the excess, so the pension will be reduced by £8 per week.

All changes must be reported.
    That's the one I'm on Poppy, I think they give us two weeks to reply each year with our new details. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @david1958, I'm sorry to hear this, I imagine this came as a shock!

Have you rung them to see if this is correct? I'd definitely recommend doing this if not.

Please do let us know how you get on :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.