Got dla to pip letter today, terrified about it — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Got dla to pip letter today, terrified about it

PatchG
PatchG Community member Posts: 42 Connected
I got the dreaded letter today saying I have to apply for pip instead of dla, I am scared to death about it. 

I had an accident in 1995 resulting in head injury affecting short term memory and concentration, and permanent lower arm injury. 
At the time I was working but had to go on sick leave then eventually the firm decided I was not insurable to return to work. I applied for benefits and DWP doctor confirmed I am uninsurable in the work place. 
I applied for dla at the time but was told I didn't qualify because my husband worked. I challenged it because I thought it was not means tested but was told the same thing so got no dla. 
When I got divorced in 2006, my solicitor said I definitely was eligible and helped me with the forms. I only got 3 months backdated as dwp said thats the most they have to backdate when they screw up. 
Now, I have to do the pips thing. I am in the dwp non working and permanent status (can't remember the correct wording, sorry).
I struggle with forms so previously had help from a lady who went to doctors surgeries to specifically do that, and later a nurse, but that was when I lived in a different area and that sort of help is not available where I live now and getting in to cab is virtually impossible. 
I do have other health issues : i have to have regular occiptal nerve blocks and shoulder + neck nerve blocks for chronic pain, and oxygen for cluster headaches which can get me up to three times a day for up to 7 months at a time, none of which are covered on the online check form. Also asthmatic, have had an elbow op recently which the surgeon stated will probably take a year to be fully better, and will be having consult soon for one shoulder ( from injury in 2008).
I also suffer depression and ptsd which causes extreme anxiety if having to meet strangers, when shopping if I feel crowded, and I can't go anywhere unfamiliar unnacompanied. I need rest stops (breathlessness) when walking ie shopping or walking dog even when going slowly to pace myself. Also multiple allergies can be a nightmare ( including a garlic eater walking past me in a shop which results in asthma attack and vomitting for instance. 
So much of my healrh is invisible disability I am scared tje assessor just won't get it and I know they change things from facts to complete fiction to avoid making awards. I feel sick to my stomach, shakey, and like they will push me over the edge that I teeter on enough already. 
Sorry this is so longwinded, believe me when I say this took a very very long time to write. 
I have skimmed through some of the general information but as short term memory issue affects reading ( i can get to a paragraph then forget what the previous one said so have to go over and over to retain it), and things that many find simple I can find confusing especially when stressed so please bear with me if I get any responses offering advice but still need to break things down to simplify further. 
Tia for any advice. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

PIP and DLA are different. PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors.

When you apply for PIP you'll be asked some basics questions to start with, like NI number, bank details, GP name etc. You should also ask for your DLA file to be used as evidence.  This takes about 20 minutes. Once this is complete you'll be sent the PIP2 form to fill in an return.

When filling out the PIP2 form you should put as much information as possible about how your conditions affect you, adding a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. Use extra A4 paper if needed and put your NI number and name on everything you send.

Send any evidence you have with the claim form to support your claim because they rarely contact anyone for this, the onus is on you to make sure it's sent. If you need extra time to return the form you can ring PIP to request an extra 14 days.

Expect a face to face assessment because most people have them. It's rare to have a paper based assessment. If a home assessment is needed then a letter from your GP stating the reasons why should be sent but if you attend other appointments then this can go against you.

Your DLA award will continue until a decision's been made on the PIP providing the forms are returned on time.

This link will tell you what's available in your area for face to face advice. https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @PatchG   Thank you for your post.

Sorry to hear this. I know this is a difficult time for you. Many members have been through his experience of applying for PIP.

Including myself.

Please may I suggest if you can get some help with any of your forms to fill in.

I know you mentioned struggling to get a cab or taxi. I do understand that.

I use taxis myself and it is finding the right firm or company that can help you get about..

You mentioned you have Mental health issues.  Are you receiving any support for this.?

By accessing help and support with your mental health. You could get floating support or an outreach worker.

Look at your benefit situation, give you assistance and attend possibly any assessments.

I used this one last time might not be in your area.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

If you can you could also speak to CAB your local office they have staff trained in dealing with forms.

I am disabled myself have mental health problems plus memory issues so used the charity last time.

Now used CAB. 

You mentioned the difficulties we as community understand that and are supportive.

My friend @poppy123456 has given you some excellent advice and lots of information.

Please have a look at our website for further information.

If I can help or a member of the team or community .Please get in touch.

Happy to help and listen anytime.

Take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • PatchG
    PatchG Community member Posts: 42 Connected
    Thank you both very much for responding, i will read through fully this evening ??? 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @PatchG and a very warm welcome to the community. The advice given above is really helpful. Seeking face to face advice can be really important, the links above should help with this :)

If you need anything else then please do let us know!
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.