Medication for my son with autism and learning disabilities, — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Medication for my son with autism and learning disabilities,

floridagirl
floridagirl Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited August 2019 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi
My son is 23 with autism and learning disabilities, his behaviour over the last year is getting much worse, he goes to college 3 days a week and does a project another day of the week. He is great at college, however he is shouting and is getting very frustrated. It used to be on the odd occasion but now it’s every day.
i went to the doctors with him and they are going to put us in touch with the Learning Disabilities Team, but I believe he needs to be on medication to help calm him down. I jus wondered what people’s experience are with medication.

Comments

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @floridagirl

A warm welcome.

Sorry to learn about the problems, you are experiencing.

It is good that your GP, has referred to the LD team.

You should request an appointment with a Consultant in LD to discuss medication, as there are a number of contra indications.

You could also contact Mencap’s helpline tel: 0808 808 1111, they are very helpful.

Was there any kind of trigger event, that could have started the change of behaviour?

Let us know how you get on.

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello!

Sorry to hear that. But the fact your GP has referred you to the LD team is a good sign. Keep us posted. Also since there are a lot of contraindictions the referral may work out in your best interests too. Definitely discuss the medication with the team as well. Ask about the possibility of trying out some meds. Unfortunately since my son is on medicine for his bowels, I cannot be of help there.
    My only piece of advice to ask questions about the medication. You need to have that conversation with the team as no one on here can provide specific advice. 
  • floridagirl
    floridagirl Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you for the help.  My mum was ill last year and I did spend a lot of time visiting her at the hospital, maybe that has unsettled him.

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @floridagirl

Please do not see the issue of a trigger event, as something that anyone is held accountable for.

Any thing can cause this.

Please speak to Mencap.

It might be of assistance for you on behalf of your son, to seek an assessment of a clinical psychologist, with specific interest of LD.

As you kindly explained, he does not display such behaviour, whilst at college.

I base my advice, on the 50 year relationship, I have had dealing with a close family member, with his LD.

It can be very challenging and but at the same time tremendously rewarding.

Brightness