Old ESA/ New ESA C — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Old ESA/ New ESA C

Options
Ilovemywifesomuch01
Ilovemywifesomuch01 Community member Posts: 32 Courageous
Hello I'm a little confused about my wife's income she doesn't respond well to medication and has schizophrenia. She has been on ESA for nearly 11 years my question is why is my nephew who has ADHD, autism and learning disabilities been advised to apply for new style ESA? Does my wife need to change to new style ESA? And what's the difference between old ESA and new ESA? Why do some people stay on old ESA and some people have to go new?

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2019
    Options
    New style ESA is for those with disabilities that affects their working ability. https://www.gov.uk/how-to-claim-new-style-esa https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/types-of-esa
    For more information or to make a application, please see the links posted. 
    Old style ESA is for those with less debilitating impairments.
    What you will be awarded will vary based on your circumstances. For NS ESA national credits will be considered. Check whether you are eligible first. 
    Or call the number for DWP and find out.  
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Old style ESA is for those with less debilitating impairments.
    What you will be awarded will vary based on your circumstances. For NS ESA national credits will be considered. Check whether you are eligible first. 
    Or call the number for DWP and find out.  
    This isn't correct.

They are both the same benefits. New style ESA has replaced the old Contributions based ESA and is for those that have worked and paid NI Contributions in years March 2016 and April 2018.  Impairments have nothing to do with any of those benefits.

@Ilovemywifesomuch01 Your nephew won't be able to apply for new style ESA unless he's worked in the above tax years. If he hasn't worked then he'll need to apply for Universal Credit. UC has replaced all the old style benefits like Income Related ESA/JSA/Income Support, housing benefit and tax credits.

Your wife will not need to transfer to the New style ESA.

I'd advise your nephew to visit his local CAB or the likes for a full benefits check.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ilovemywifesomuch01
    Ilovemywifesomuch01 Community member Posts: 32 Courageous
    Options
    So my nephew should apply for universal credit? And my wife will remain on ESA? Thank you for replying.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If he hasn't worked and paid NI contributions in those 2 years then yes. He'll need a fit/sick note from his GP to claim limited capability for work.

If your wife is claiming Contributions based ESA then she'll remain on it because it's not part of UC. If she's claiming Income related ESA then she'll eventually be invited to apply for UC but this will most likely be in a couple of years time.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.