Prison with a Disability? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Prison with a Disability?

Jamie222
Jamie222 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I hope it is OK to post this here. Am new here and just hoping somebody might be able to help me.

I lost my sight last year and am now legally blind. This is all new to me and am coping as best I can. I can still see to an extent if things are very close and if I lookright up at a screen. I can't really see much in the distance and people need to be right up beside me before I can make them out.

The other thing that is happening to me is that I am probably getting sentenced and told to expect a prison sentence which I am dreading but have to face that. I have spoken with my solicitor awho has said that my situation will be taken into account and that prisons do accomodate the needs of people like me.

So I am just wondering if people would know anything about this maybe from work they do or through somebody they know who has been in this situation.. There are practical things like not being able to use stairs properly, not being able to see who is around me and not being able to read signs or notices. I am also  on medication for anxiety with everything thats going on. I've never been in prison before or know anybody who hass or knows about it so any info or advice would be a big help.

Thank You

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2019
    [Removed by moderator]
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    edited August 2019
    [Removed by moderator]
    I think that's a little personal to ask Why?
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• Liz99
    Liz99 Community member Posts: 18 Listener
    tjat was not question he asked !! How rude
  • Liz99
    Liz99 Community member Posts: 18 Listener
     Sure they will have staff to help it would be a discrimination if they didn’t don’t worry
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    @April2018mom......that was an incredibly rude and irrelevant reply to a perfectly reasonable question by @Jamie222

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2019
    Hi @Jamie222 and a warm welcome to the community. Personally, I'm not aware of other members being in a similar situation before, I apologise for not being able to give advice at this time but I sincerely hope as a community we can support you in any way we can :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,368 Disability Gamechanger
    @Jamie222, Hi,

As a community champion here on scope, please can i just say that you do not need to answer any personal questions here on scope.

It's not anyone's business the reasons why things happen and you do not need to explain anything here.

I just don't want you to feel pressured in anyway by posting for help here on scope. We are a friendly community and value peoples health, well being and safety.

I've never been in a situation like this and neither have i heard any stories. However, i can tell you that there will be help and support for you if while you are there. Please take a moment and read through this link. https://www.gov.uk/life-in-prison/healthcare-in-prison

If we can be of any further help please do just ask and i'm sure someone will be only to happy to help you.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Jamie222 and welcome to the community.

As well as the link @poppy123456 gave you, you might find the following of interest and may help to ease some of your concerns: http://www.prisonreformtrust.org.uk/Portals/0/Documents/Disability pib.pdf

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jamie222 and a very warm welcome to the community! I hope the information above has been helpful and please do let me know if there is anything else we can do to help :)
    Scope

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Jamie222 said:
    I hope it is OK to post this here. Am new here and just hoping somebody might be able to help me.

I lost my sight last year and am now legally blind. This is all new to me and am coping as best I can. I can still see to an extent if things are very close and if I lookright up at a screen. I can't really see much in the distance and people need to be right up beside me before I can make them out.

The other thing that is happening to me is that I am probably getting sentenced and told to expect a prison sentence which I am dreading but have to face that. I have spoken with my solicitor awho has said that my situation will be taken into account and that prisons do accomodate the needs of people like me.

So I am just wondering if people would know anything about this maybe from work they do or through somebody they know who has been in this situation.. There are practical things like not being able to use stairs properly, not being able to see who is around me and not being able to read signs or notices. I am also  on medication for anxiety with everything thats going on. I've never been in prison before or know anybody who hass or knows about it so any info or advice would be a big help.

Thank You
    Hi, I am sorry you find yourself in this situation and hope prison life will be kind to you. I watched documentaries about prisons and see that quite a number of inmates are on anti depressants, so this wont be unusual. Your sight problems will be though. I hope there is a structure in place to help disabled people.
  • Jamie222
    Jamie222 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks for the links and welcome! Appreciate it. This has been hanging over me for a while so in some ways want whats going to happen and get it done but am alsow worried about it. Just wish I could turn the clock back and change things and not be in this situation but know that's not possible
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    That's not a problem @Jamie222 :)

Please do let us know if we can do anything else to help!
    Scope

Brightness