16 year old wanting an apprenticeship — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

16 year old wanting an apprenticeship

urbanblonde
urbanblonde Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi all. I live alone with my 16 year old on private rented accommodation. I recieve EESA, with SDP, standard rate PIP for care and HB which does not cover the whole cost of the rent. I have recently become profoundly deaf and I cannot effectively communicate without an interpreter writing things down for me. My question is if my 16 year old decided to take the apprenticeship how will the effect HB and EESA as he will no longer be a dependent. Used 3 different benefit calculators and each have different figures. I'm worried that I will lose my home even with his contribution. He will earn £160 a week. 
Thank you 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Because you're claiming PIP then there will be no non dependent deductions for your housing benefit and it will remain the same.

Your ESA, you will lose the SDP of £65.85 per week, unless he claims a qualifying benefit such as PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care. This is because he will be a non dependent and you will no longer be classed as living alone.

Your council tax will also be affected because you'll lost the single person discount.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • urbanblonde
    Thank you for your reply. Other option is if he moves out to live with relatives, which unfortunately is something that may happen. Would I still lose SDP if he did move out? 
  • poppy123456
    If he moved out you won't lose the SDP. If he did move in with relatives then if they are claiming any benefits then it could affect this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • urbanblonde
    Thank you Poppy for your help. Much appreciated 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.