PIP ASSESSMENT — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP ASSESSMENT

BFG1963
BFG1963 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
hi, I have just had my pip home assessment. I am currently on higher DLA but feel my assessment went badly.  I have incurable leukaemia and take chemo every day, have diagnosed fibromyalgia and a vascular necrosis. I feel he didn’t really go into how it effects me day today and because I had a bad night I felt very lethargic and feel I didn’t push myself enough. I worried now I will lose my payments. Any advice. Thanks x

Comments

• jaja
    jaja Community member Posts: 76 Pioneering
    Hello @BFG1963

Welcome to the forum.

Try not worry. I know that is easier said than done. It is important to remember that the decision maker wont only be going on your face to face assessment. They will also have your form and any evidence you sent in. It could be that he had all the information he needed. 

I'm sure others will be along with further advice soon.

J

• BFG1963
    Thank you it helps to get support
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

If you live in the UK then wait a week and request a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report. You'll still need to wait for the decision but you'll have some idea.

Decision waiting times can be anything from 2-8 weeks, sometimes more.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @BFG1963 and a very warm welcome to the community! I'm sorry you aren't feel too good today. I understand how daunting these assessments can be, so I'm sorry you didn't feel it was a true representation.

You are able to ring up about a week after the assessment and request a copy of the report. By doing so will allow you to see what recommendations have been made. It is rare that they go against what has been recommended, so this will give you a very good idea about the PIP award you may be expecting when the decision letter arrives.

I hope this helps, and that you are able to sleep a little more tonight. :)

Please do let us know if there is anything else we can do to help!
    Scope

• BFG1963
    Thanks for your support. I think it might be better to wait otherwise I might start stressing over that. I’m normally ok but this whole thing has freaked me out. I’m normally quite private and have found this very intrusive and depressing
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @BFG1963, that is no problem at all! I understand that. You don't need to request the report, it's just an option which is there if you wanted to. I totally hear what you are saying about the assessment and I'm sorry you found it to be so intrusive. 

I'll certainly keep my fingers crossed for you!

If you want to try and take your mind of things, the community has a Coffee Lounge where we talk about all sorts of different things and try to just keep conversations a little lighter.

If there is anything I can do to help then please do let me know. :)
    Scope

• BFG1963
    Thank you I will try the coffee lounge xx
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome!
    Definitely get a copy of the report. You can do this by calling DWP tomorrow morning. If you wish to relax head on over to our coffee lounge where we talk about non disability topics. Keep us filled in. Hopefully you will hear back soon regarding recommendations etc. Generally speaking, it is rare for DWP to change their minds. If you have other questions do not hesitate to ask. 
  • BFG1963
    If I ring will they tell me over the phone what the report says or will they post it to me. I have had a message to say they have received it so does that mean I can ring now?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    They won't tell you over the phone what it says in the report. Yes, you can ring to request it now, if you live in the UK.

When you do receive it, at the back of the report there will be activities/descriptors with dots next to them. Use the PIP self test to add up any points that may have been recommended. As it's just a report the points aren't added for you. They mostly go with the report so it will give you some idea. http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • BFG1963
    Update: rang today for a copy of my PIP form - fingers crossed. Will keep you all up to date with progress 
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @BFG1963

Welcome to our online community/family.

I’m one off the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Please please let me know if there’s anything that I can help you with????

@steve51

• BFG1963
    Thank thank you for making me feel so welcome 
  • Chloe_Scope
    That's so great to hear @BFG1963! Please do let us know if we can do anything else to help!
    Scope

• BFG1963
    Hi all, just a update, I got my pip letter today which says enhanced rate for care, but standard for mobility. I was getting high rate for both on DLA. Should I appeal? How would I do this? Thanks for your continued help. My issues are leukaemia, not curable so on chemo every day for the rest of my life. A vascular necrosis, awaiting hip operation to replace both. Problems with shoulders had one op waiting for other one. Depression, I’m on antidepressants. I am on lots of pain killers including morphine 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @BFG1963. It's difficult for us to advise whether or not you should challenge a decision as doing so can put your current award at risk. DLA and PIP are very different so awards aren't always the same on both.
    If you feel you meet the criteria for the enhanced rate mobility, then the best thing you can do is get some face to face advice to discuss your options. If you pop your postcode in here it'll show you what's available in your area. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • BFG1963
    Thank you for this ??

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.