Skipping UC — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Skipping UC

Options
johnbjohn
johnbjohn Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited August 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi , I am currently claiming universal credit, and get nothing from it, I am getting esa, I feel that because I am getting nothing from universal credit would it be ok if I only went for esa. Would it be ok if I skipped universal credit an sent my fit notes for esa instead.
Thanks John

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @johnbjohn. Can I ask if you're on the Support Group or WRAG of ESA and do you have the corresponding LCWRA/LCW on your Universal Credit claim?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    johnbjohn,
    Because you say that you are handing in fit notes, I assume you haven't yet had a work capability assessment and so you won't know if you are in the support group (limited capability for work-related activity in UC) or the work-related activity group (limited capability for work in UC) yet  - that will depend on the outcome of your assessment.

I think it is worth hanging on with UC for now. You're probably getting what is a penny award which can be paid to people who will only qualify for UC if they are in the support group.  If you are found to have limited capability for work-related activity (this is called the support group in ESA), then you should start to see extra money in UC paid on top of your ESA.

The other reason to hang on is that getting even a tiny bit of UC can help you with other things such as free prescriptions (if you live in England). 

So for now, I know it is annoying but I would carry on with both. If you were going to stop either of them I would stop ESA, but a reason to continue with this could be because it gives you better national insurance credits (which can help you get benefits again in the future) compared to UC.

I hope that your work coach in UC is being understanding and not making you look for work whilst you wait for the assessment.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.