Please help, Being told i cannot continue my ESA because i was not contribution based — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Please help, Being told i cannot continue my ESA because i was not contribution based

richydee2019
richydee2019 Community member Posts: 16 Listener
edited August 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi everybody. 

I recently was on this forum before i moved into a flat to get advice about my claim as i did not want to move into the flat if my ESA would be stopped. However i was advised that my esa would continue as my claim for ESA was before  2017 .

https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/61617/esa-2-universal-credit-hb-few-more-questions#latest

I then went and moved into my flat and claimed UC , i yesterday rang my case manager whom was not available so i spoke with somebody else, and i told them about my claim for ESA continuing as my claim was before 2017 ect - i quoted the following from POPPY's advise

" You need to ask your case manager to send the MGP1 form to ESA and this will transfer your ESA details to UC and then you'll be placed in the relevant group for UC which is Limited capability for work (LCW).

Your ESA claim started before April 2017 this means that in your UC payments you will receive the extra £126 LCW."

The person on the phone then proceeded to tell me that i will not be entitled to a continued ESA claim as my claim for ESA was not contribution Based.

I was devastated as my whole move could be jeprodised with this lower income.

I argued with them for a while stating that i had been given professional advise and that even the jobcenter had agreed with me at the time of my application, (Which they did) and they said that the claim for ESA will be dealt with in the background whilst my UC claim was processed and that my ESA would continue.

However the person on the phone was adiment that because i was not contribution based that my ESA will end and i will has to have a re-assessment.

Please help.

What do i do. Who do i argue this with

And why are they saying this to me.

This forum made it wuite clear that i would continue to receive my ESA

can anybody advise.

thank you.,

My claim for ESA was long before 2017

in 2014 i claimed INCAPACITY BENEFIT
upto 2016 where i claimed ESA SUPPORT GROUP
upto 2018 where i was lowered to WORK RELATED ESA
Now i am on UC being told me ESA will stop

even though i was advised the following

You need to ask your case manager to send the MGP1 form to ESA and this will transfer your ESA details to UC and then you'll be placed in the relevant group for UC which is Limited capability for work (LCW).

Your ESA claim started before April 2017 this means that in your UC payments you will receive the extra £126 LCW.

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @richydee2019, unless you were receiving contribution-based or New Style ESA, they are correct that it will stop now that you've claimed Universal Credit.
    However, you should receive the Universal Credit equivalent which is LCW (limited capacity for work) which adds £126 a month to your Universal Credit claim (because your claim began before April 2017). You won't receive Universal Credit AND ESA, you'll get Universal Credit and the additional LCW rate which replaces your ESA. 

You need to request that they (Universal Credit) send an MPG1 form to ESA so that your ESA award can be transitioned over to Universal Credit.

Does that make sense?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,317 Disability Gamechanger
    @richydee2019 yes i remember you and i didn't advise you that your ESA would continue and i'm sorry if you thought i did.

What i said was that your ESA will stop because you claimed UC BUT your ESA award will be honoured with UC. I also advised you to ask your case manager from UC to send the MPG1 form to ESA so that your award can be transferred across and you will then receive the extra £126 per month because your ESA claim started before April 2017.

You won't be the first person to have issues with transferring their ESA award across to UC. Hopefully it will be sorted soon without too much bother.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • richydee2019
    edited August 2019
    ok i understand then. thank you. So will this be delbt with regardless of wether or not i ask for the case manager to send the MPG1 to ESA as its thier job to figure all this out without my prompting really.

I am chasing this up and making sure that the MPG1 is sent over, however is it my responsibility , shouldnt it allready be done for me.

Thank you
  • richydee2019
    ok, then i will ring the case manager ect... cant belive this system at the moment. its doing everything it can to limit what little benefits we can get and then they want bedroom tax , council tax and GKWE tax.. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,317 Disability Gamechanger
    Yup, i've heard of so many stories of it happening to so many people. When your award is finally transferred across you will be backdated all your money owed but to get to that stage may not be an easy process.

No idea what GKWE tax is.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • richydee2019
    God Knows What Else

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.