Idea — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Idea

Globster
Globster Community member, Community Volunteer Host, CP Network, Scope Member Posts: 2,355 Disability Gamechanger
Hello 

I am thinking of starting a petition  to see charging points for electronic wheelchair and  mobility scooters around Coventry. I would appreciate to hear what the community think about my idea 

I am a Community Volunteer Host. Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Count me in! This is a lovely idea. 
  • Roddy
    Roddy Community member Posts: 445 Pioneering
    Globster said:
    Hello 

I am thinking of starting a petition  to see charging points for electronic wheelchair and  mobility scooters around Coventry. I would appreciate to hear what the community think about my idea 

It's a marvellous idea @Gl@Globster

One concern may be that most mobility scooters have different sized charging pints on them. Also (and I'm not trying to darken your idea) most scooters take at least 3-4 hours to charge at a minimum and 8 hours to fully charge them.

Perhaps the scooter manufacturers could all adapt their scooters so that all models have the same charging socket & pin? I'm sure that they would do this, if your idea takes off and other Councils follow suit.

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    I think I once read that Shopmobility centres will allow you to to give your chair/scooter a charge to get you home. Occasionally I have gone out without realising I dont have much charge. But I`ve never run right out.
    Good idea though x
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Im hoping that electric cars and the attention to batteries and to charging times will have spin off benefits. Of course chargers should be standard and should be fast.

A newbuild block of nearly 200 flats has plenty of sockets in the underground car park, but not one for an electric car and not one permitted for charging a wheelchair.  
  • Globster
    Globster Community member, Community Volunteer Host, CP Network, Scope Member Posts: 2,355 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello 
    I am have decided because of to many difficulties I have decided to not follow up on my idea but I appreciate all the comments I have received on my idea 

I am a Community Volunteer Host. Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

• Roddy
    Roddy Community member Posts: 445 Pioneering
    newborn said:
    Im hoping that electric cars and the attention to batteries and to charging times will have spin off benefits. Of course chargers should be standard and should be fast.

A newbuild block of nearly 200 flats has plenty of sockets in the underground car park, but not one for an electric car and not one permitted for charging a wheelchair.  

It's all down to money @newborn. Who would pick-up the electricity bill? I cannot see the Council's paying anything towards it. Currently, there are by far a lot more mobility scooters than electric cars... Supermarkets, rather than petrol stations for example would be ideal places to install charging points, and so too would every High Street/Shopping Malls in all Town Centres. 

Like I say, most scooters can take a few hours to charge, and so how many sockets would be needed to satisfy demand? I must have seen at least 20 other scooters whilst I was out this afternoon. I also think, that most scooter owners, wouldn't leave home on a low charged scooter, and rarely do owners drive them down flat... I still agree though, that charging facilities should be openly available.  

Brightness