Arthritis — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Arthritis

courteneyolivia
courteneyolivia Community member Posts: 4 Listener
hello! I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis at the young age of 8 years old and I’m now turning 23. I’ve been through some serious ups and downs this year and have resulted in counselling. 

My councillor has advised I join an online group to talk to people suffering similar conditions to hear their stories and talk things through so that’s essentially what this thread is? An online group counselling I guess idk

Comments

• KG100
    KG100 Community member Posts: 179 Pioneering
    I had RA at a young age as well, also Sjogrens now which seems even worse. 
    There's also a group on the RA site on facebook. 

• courteneyolivia
    I’ve never struggled before these recent years so it’s almost like being diagnosed for the first time and I’m struggling to cope a little now. I’m being referred for rituximab in September and I’m terrified tbh
  • KG100
    I find the best way to cope is to think that all the treatments we go through helps us in some way.
    The wait for my operations for my plastic knuckles almost drove me mad, I worried all the time, but when they were over I thought it was well worth it.
    I've never had that rituximab though, but I think it's what my dad used to have at the local hospital. 
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    I also was 8. Strange!..
    When told I had arthritis 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    I'm sorry to hear your year's been so all over the place @courteneyolivia, but you're very welcome here and we'll do our best to support you.
    How are you doing today?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • courteneyolivia
    @Adrian_Scope thank you! It’s hard to talk to people at work or friends cause they never really 100% understand what I’m trying to say and a lot of my friends are doctors or physio’s and even then it’s hard bc they don’t feel it yaknow? X
  • KG100
    I always had my dad to talk to, he had the same health problems as me but at a more advanced stage at that time.
    He also had operations on his hands but about 30 years before I did.
    I have to agree that it's very hard talking to people about RA who don't really understand it.

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @courteneyolivia. I think a lot of people feel like that. Have you tried looking at support groups in your local area, or taken a look at Versus Arthritis?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • courteneyolivia
    KG100 said:
    I always had my dad to talk to, he had the same health problems as me but at a more advanced stage at that time.
    He also had operations on his hands but about 30 years before I did.
    I have to agree that it's very hard talking to people about RA who don't really understand it.

Sometimes get looks that make you feel like you’re milking it even when you’re not 
  • KG100
    We have to remember though that not all illnesses stand out for people to see.
    No one can see my heart operations scars so don't really understand about those but they can see my hand scars and twisted fingers.
    I think they accept me as being disabled by looking at my hands but totally ignore my knackered heart simply because they can't see it !!
    With age now though I no longer care what people think of me. 
  • Swordfish
    Swordfish Community member Posts: 54 Pioneering

Contrary to popular opinion, humans can regrow cartilage in their joints, researchers have found. Experts hope the research could lead to new treatments for a common type of arthritis.

Osteoarthritis, in which joints become painful and stiff, is the most common form of arthritis and is thought to cause pain in about 8.5 million people in the UK alone. It is caused by a breakdown in the cartilage that protects the ends of the bones, as well as the growth of new bone around the joint as the body tries to repair the damage.It has long been thought that adult humans are unable to produce new cartilage, unlike a number of animals, including salamanders, which can not only repair damage to joints but grow whole new limbs.Now researchers say they have found fresh evidence that adults can produce new cartilage. They say the process is more common in joints less prone to osteoarthritis, and appears to be linked to small molecules that control the regrowth of limbs in animals such as the salamander.

Guardian full article 

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Thankyou for that explanation Swordfish.

My hubby`s rheumatoid arthritis is a blood disorder.

About 22 years ago, I began to get finger knuckle pain and read up about glucosamine sulphate. I have been taken this every day ever since. And I dont suffer arthritis...so at 67 I am sure I would have had it had I not taken the supplement.

I dont recommend it widely, as some people cant tolerate it.

But for those who can, it`s a wonderful thing!
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @courteneyolivia, sorry to hear your year has been up and down. I just wanted to check in to see how you were doing at the moment? :)
    Scope

Brightness