PIP Reconsideration success...well sort of... — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Reconsideration success...well sort of...

PIPESA
PIPESA Community member Posts: 12 Connected
I am pleased to say I must be one of the few people who have had success in not one but two PIP Mandatory Reconsiderations. 

In 2015 I  had my initial claim for PIP rejected out of hand given 0 points in both categories when Capita refused to look at my evidence and belittled me in the assessment and lied time and again in the resulting health report. On reconsideration I was awarded 11 points for daily living and 14 for mobility and given a 3 year award of standard and enhanced respectively.

I was called in again for a f2f with Capita in December 2017 after stating on my AR1 no change in my conditions and sent in updated supporting evidence. Again appalling f2f assessment by Capita. I had my daily living reduced to 6 points..no award and therefore  lost my ESA  linked SDA ( I'm in the Support Group )and my mobility reduced to 10 points ie standard from 14 ie enhanced.

Asked for a MR and nearly fainted when I received my Capita health assessment report. I honestly thought they had sent me the wrong persons details....it was full of lies, omissions and said I had completed an "exercise" that I hadn't even been asked to do. So...got further evidence and my support team completed written testimonials. Sent off recorded delivery and a week later received an unchanged decision....shock, horror.

I immediately contacted DWP and was put through to a Case Manager. She was very understanding and agreed that because my further and original evidence was stil valid and even though presented at my f2f with CapitaI it wasn't represented fully in the assessors report ... ie it was ignored.

I said well your award must be wrong then, because of all those evidential omissions you CAN NOT of come to a fair decision can you? She wouldn't comment on that but I got the feeling she agreed. She then stated she would send the evidence back to Capita for a reconsideration of a reconsideration, she added that she would highlight what they MUST look at again.... I think my initial reconsideration ( are you keeping up!) In 2016 was such a vast change in result that they couldn't justify reducing my award due to evidence of NO CHANGE in my conditions. However, she said I should be prepared to go to an appeal.

This was done on Feb 21st last week. Today, 4 working days later I was informed that my reconsideration of a reconsideration of a reconsideration had been reversed to my original award....U N B E L I E V A B L E......till December 2021.

I was informed today ( unofficially officially) that the  DWP are getting hundreds of complaints about Capita and basically their assessments are now considered not fit for purpose and VERY soon ALL assessments WILL be recorded in some way. They seem to be listening AT LAST.

So please don't think if your reconsideration is turned down there now HAS be a traumatic appeal process...DONT GIVE UP...basically it is the claimants word against Capita which HAD been a nightmare...not anymore it seems.

The DWP now seem to understand it is purely about the bottom line.. as in Capita get paid per assessment, are (maybe???)  targeted to refuse or decrease awards and are aware that Capita can't cope with the contract as it stands, and are trying to make as much money as possible  before it is removed from them or, more likely , they give it back..

The resounding evidence so far  is that MR s are just another barrier for claimants to be humiliated and who will then give up totally. I have hopefully gone some little way to prove that wrong. PLEASE DONT GIVE UP.....the DWP seem to be finally understanding the shocking  treatment  we are all being put through at the hands of these so called  'health professionals.'

They must take all the health assessments back in house and record them all. Those in genuine need will get what they are legally entitled to and the process will be far less traumatic.

I would hope it will result in  f2f health  assessments only being done either for a new claim or at the end date of an award ( only to be done during the award period if there is a notified change of circumstance by the claimant). 

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL.

Comments

• sdoc94
    sdoc94 Community member Posts: 140 Pioneering
    @PIPESA

Delighted that you had such a positive outcome. I am currently waiting on my decision - I had my F2F on 15th of February, DWP received my assessor report on the 19th.

Fingers crossed.

Congratulations.
    Shady.
  • PIPESA
    Thanks and good luck...but don't give up if the news is not what you want. If your evidence is there it cannot be ignored by DWP even if the HP report ignores it....as is the norm unfortunately.
  • sdoc94
    sdoc94 Community member Posts: 140 Pioneering
    Unfortunately my Citizen's Advice Bureau told me not to send medical evidence as DWP - or DfC in my case (Northern Ireland) will come and get it, my GP told me the same.

However my assessor did seem pretty genuine - offering me off-the-record advice etc. She could see the pain I was in and was horrified at some of my experiences with pain, surgeries etc at a young age. I am only 23. 

Here hoping! :smile:
    Shady.
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Well nice tp have good news
    So glad tjings are finely being sorted 
  • Lasian_Alumni
    Lasian_Alumni Community member Posts: 659 Pioneering
    Hi @PIPESA,

I'm glad to hear your good news, although the journey to this point must have been frustrating!
  • cobra
    cobra Community member Posts: 36 Pioneering
    PIPESA said:
    I am pleased to say I must be one of the few people who have had success in not one but two PIP Mandatory Reconsiderations. 

In 2015 I  had my initial claim for PIP rejected out of hand given 0 points in both categories when Capita refused to look at my evidence and belittled me in the assessment and lied time and again in the resulting health report. On reconsideration I was awarded 11 points for daily living and 14 for mobility and given a 3 year award of standard and enhanced respectively.

I was called in again for a f2f with Capita in December 2017 after stating on my AR1 no change in my conditions and sent in updated supporting evidence. Again appalling f2f assessment by Capita. I had my daily living reduced to 6 points..no award and therefore  lost my ESA  linked SDA ( I'm in the Support Group )and my mobility reduced to 10 points ie standard from 14 ie enhanced.

Asked for a MR and nearly fainted when I received my Capita health assessment report. I honestly thought they had sent me the wrong persons details....it was full of lies, omissions and said I had completed an "exercise" that I hadn't even been asked to do. So...got further evidence and my support team completed written testimonials. Sent off recorded delivery and a week later received an unchanged decision....shock, horror.

I immediately contacted DWP and was put through to a Case Manager. She was very understanding and agreed that because my further and original evidence was stil valid and even though presented at my f2f with CapitaI it wasn't represented fully in the assessors report ... ie it was ignored.

I said well your award must be wrong then, because of all those evidential omissions you CAN NOT of come to a fair decision can you? She wouldn't comment on that but I got the feeling she agreed. She then stated she would send the evidence back to Capita for a reconsideration of a reconsideration, she added that she would highlight what they MUST look at again.... I think my initial reconsideration ( are you keeping up!) In 2016 was such a vast change in result that they couldn't justify reducing my award due to evidence of NO CHANGE in my conditions. However, she said I should be prepared to go to an appeal.

This was done on Feb 21st last week. Today, 4 working days later I was informed that my reconsideration of a reconsideration of a reconsideration had been reversed to my original award....U N B E L I E V A B L E......till December 2021.

I was informed today ( unofficially officially) that the  DWP are getting hundreds of complaints about Capita and basically their assessments are now considered not fit for purpose and VERY soon ALL assessments WILL be recorded in some way. They seem to be listening AT LAST.

So please don't think if your reconsideration is turned down there now HAS be a traumatic appeal process...DONT GIVE UP...basically it is the claimants word against Capita which HAD been a nightmare...not anymore it seems.

The DWP now seem to understand it is purely about the bottom line.. as in Capita get paid per assessment, are (maybe???)  targeted to refuse or decrease awards and are aware that Capita can't cope with the contract as it stands, and are trying to make as much money as possible  before it is removed from them or, more likely , they give it back..

The resounding evidence so far  is that MR s are just another barrier for claimants to be humiliated and who will then give up totally. I have hopefully gone some little way to prove that wrong. PLEASE DONT GIVE UP.....the DWP seem to be finally understanding the shocking  treatment  we are all being put through at the hands of these so called  'health professionals.'

They must take all the health assessments back in house and record them all. Those in genuine need will get what they are legally entitled to and the process will be far less traumatic.

I would hope it will result in  f2f health  assessments only being done either for a new claim or at the end date of an award ( only to be done during the award period if there is a notified change of circumstance by the claimant). 

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL.
    Many many thanks for your post @PIPESA and your inspiring message. I also had f2f with Capita’s assessor who, should I say in polite language, was very uneconomical with truth. I’ve had MR and now awaiting my tribunal case. Ten years ago I was asked by DWP to visit their own Dr who passed me with ‘flying colours’ and then my own GP wrote similar report. I was still made to go to a tribunal where again I went through and received HRC / HRM INDEFINITELY on DLA.
    Today my GP (was charged £25) gave me ANOTHER updated report mentioning also problems which I’m facing with my right eye after a botched up cataract op in 2016. 
    Capita assessor had said ‘you can always wear thicker glasses’ and also one of the questions she asked me was ‘when am I going to top myself?’ 
    Once again I’m so pleased for you as your anxiety is over.
    By the way does anyone know what happens to Motability car as now on PIP has given me 10 points (M) and 6 points (C) - therefore my wife lost care altogether for looking after me.
    should I tell DWP of the new Dr’s evidence or should I wait for tribunal date and give this to them?
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    There is no point holding evidence back for appeal. You should send it asap and ask for it to be considered now.

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • cobra
    cobra Community member Posts: 36 Pioneering
    There is no point holding evidence back for appeal. You should send it asap and ask for it to be considered now.

CR
    Yes I will do so ASAP as I wanted to scan the Dr’s letter than send with my covering letter. I’d run out of ink and the eBay supplier let me down and now has arrived. My hands shake so have called a kind soul to help me with the task. Hope to send it off.
    Many thanks @CockneyRebel
  • PIPESA
    Hi @Lasian_Scope.....yes EXTREMELY frustrating but I think the tide is definitely turning...I think Crapita....oops sorry ....Capita have definitely been 'found out' and are being called to account at last....
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    edited February 2018
    @PIPESA

Thanks for your insight and sharing this with the community it will give some inspiration to go the distance. Well done on fighting your way forward to getting your award, it will be interesting if things will improve for us in what you've stated.

I myself diden't have any problems with Capita, they did mine all on Paper Based On-Going award in NOVEMBER 17 and my report had no lies within it and I feel very lucky not having to suffer like many do, I'm getting Enhanced rate on both without all the grief I've read and seen about Capita.

Good luck to one and all never give in even though you feel that you could.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• jonesgn
    jonesgn Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    @PIPESA

Thank you for sharing your good news. It's given me a little ray of hope whilst I wait for my decision.

Had my second assessment in 4 weeks yesterday and I found it odd to say the least. When asking about my admission to a psychiatric hospital for 6 weeks she commented that my attempt at suicide "wasn't serious". When I informed her I also tried to starve myself to death and weighed less than 6 stone at the time of my admission she commented "well you've certainly put on weight since then" admittedly I am a little plump but there really wasn't any need.
    She also seemed taken aback that I had actually left the house a mere three days earlier to visit my mother in her nursing home.

Am I not supposed to attempt to live as normal life as possible on the days I'm able to do so? It doesn't lessen the pain, fatigue and sheer terror I feel.

So now,  while I wait we keep the curtains closed because I fear I'm being watched and possibly listened to also. I'm living a nightmare.
  • Dodi44
    Dodi44 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Hi I went for my FTF was very nervous , sweating and anxious also have a tremor so hard to cook dress wash etc also have bad anxiety when in public find it hard to plan anything etc The capita girl said I was ok and awarded me 2 points for cooking 2 points for dressing ,, 4 points on the mobility for the award that was it.  I now have put a mandatory reconsideration claim in with supporting evidence from my freind and a Carer , I hope this should be ok as I am suicidal with all the stress ???
  • Dodi44
    Also my doctor who has been fantastic 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
    Hi @Dodi44, I'm sorry to hear your FTF was such a struggle and you're having to go through with the MR. Please remember we'll be here to support you throughout the appeal process.

However, if you're having suicidal thoughts it's really important that you speak to someone who's able to talk them through with you. If these continue, please give Samaritans a call on 116 123 or email them (jo@samaritans.org). You also might find these resources from MIND to be useful, but if you think you might be in immediate danger, please make sure to call 999 or go to your local hospital.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Dodi44
    I haven’t got mr 
  • worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    edited August 2019
    congrats, funny enough my overall success rate with reconsideration's at the DWP I would say is well above the mean average.  They not a lost cause, its just the mandatory element and their current really slow process times the issue.

Also if you interested I think the reason it went back to capita, is apparently now if the DM(CM) wants to make a change that affects the award that disagrees with the AP, the AP now has to agree to it.  So the file gets sent back to the AP for reconsideration.  In the past the DM's had more power and didnt need to do that.  I dont know this for sure, but someone said this on digitalspy as a change of policy within the DWP.
  • Dodi44
    I av got severe anxiety and tremor in right hand which makes it difficult to do thins with my right hand I dot four points for cooking needing help and dressing needing help , the doctor has sent a letter telling them I need help washing and writing belts etc also communicating with other people will this help 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.