Shopping Deliveries - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Shopping Deliveries

2»

Comments

• ladygonegaga
    ladygonegaga Community member Posts: 11 Courageous
    I have emailed ASDA about this issue when they stopped bags for my deliverys 2 months ago. They just kept saying the same thing, that they would be stopping all bags soon and they hope I understand. Yes I do understand but really they need to sort themself out first. ASDA put there own brand items in plastic bags that cannot be recycled, ie frozen fish cakes, they put items like cabbage, cauliflower in non recyclable plastic bags just so they can scan a barcode at checkout.
    Doing the shopping online has been a must for me for the last 10 years and has been one of the last things I am able to do mostly independently. I now have had this taken away from me because I just cannot manage to take delivery on my own. I have tried using my own bags but its just to much and to painfull, bending down picking one item out at a time its impossable for me to do. The delivery drivers have been very good saying that they will take it into the kitchen for me and put the crate on the side, ER no thank you, I do not want dirty crates on my kitchen worktop and I have no space anyway, they say that they can put them on the kitchen floor? I have still got to bend down and pick items out and not being funny but I do not want strange men walking through my home in to my kitchen. The last delivery driver that fetched my shopping could not bend down himself to even help me. I can now only have the shopping delivered when my husband is at home so he can take delivery of it.

GET YOUR OWN HOUSE IN ORDER ASDA BEFORE YOU PENALISE THE CONSUMER AT THE END OF THE LINE!!
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you, @thespiceman. That's very helpful. :)
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @ladygonegaga   Pleased to meet you.

Sorry to hear about your problems with ASDA.

I do understand would it not be better a suggestion to find another supermarket company who can deliver to you.

According to the WHICH survey of on line retailers ASDA were bottom.

Have problems with my hands, lifting and carrying.  So when he or she arrives with a trolley.

Crates piled up they put it near to the Kitchen as they can.  I have a very small Kitchen..  

Then we together puts the groceries on the unit handing them to me. As he does some I do some.

No bending or stooping or hurting myself.  Anything heavy he or she does it.

I have small units not many in a cramped space. At the time they are going to arrive make room. Clear my units of any excess washing up or anything in the way.

Open all gates and doors any obstacles.

Make it easier for any one who delivers.

All crates are then emptied as we go through each layer on the trolley together.

If you ask like I do politely the  delivery drivers the TESCO ones do unpack the crates themselves and do ask where do you wish this to go.

This is the whole idea of on line deliveries.

You could another idea is to split the shopping in half I do this. Get one lot one half of the month another the other half of the month. Less to unpack.

You mentioned not wanting to trample through your Kitchen and home. That is the whole point is it not.  How are they going to deliver your shopping then.?

Have anxiety myself but have no problems regarding the TESCO drivers.  We should be respectable of what they are doing.

I always happy to see them know many of them and are on friendly terms.

After all this is a service you have paid for. If you not happy then there are answers.

I hope that reassures you have a look on line see what other supermarkets can help you.

Hope that helps.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • ladygonegaga
    ladygonegaga Community member Posts: 11 Courageous
    Hello thespiceman, nice to meet you too and thank you for your suggestions.

I did used to shop with Tesco but found that for what we buy ASDA is cheeper.
    All the ASDA delivery drivers have been very nice and will do what you have suggested that the Tesco delivery men do for you.
    I have to have 2 deliverys a week / 8 days this is because I cannot think any further forward than 2/3 days on what to eat or what is needed.
    I have never had a delivery taken in my home in the 10 years of doing online shopping, i have always taken delivery of my items at the frount door and this suits me.
    I have thought about changing suppermarkets but all supermarkets will be following this no bag policy soon anyway.

Unfortunately a part of my anxiety is down to Men which is why I am not comfortable letting them in my home. I also found out 30 years ago when a older man knocked on my door then walked straight in that the police can not do anything if your door is not locked and they do not cause any damage or take anything. It took me 2 hours to get him out of my home, he just talked and talked wanted me to go out on a date with him, I was 20, married with 1 child he was in his 60's. When I was 6 years old I was nearly kidnapped by a lorry driver. At 15 I was given alcohol then sexualy assaulted by a 24 year old. At 27 I was raped by my boyfriend that I had been seeing for 2 and half years.

Oooh thats got me a bit now, I have never writen it down before and never talked about these things to anyone.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    I can certainly understand your reluctance then @ladygonegaga. I'm really sorry to read everything you've been through and I hope you feel okay after being so open and honest?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @ladygonegaga   Thank you for sharing and I am sorry to hear what you have been through.

Please can I suggest this is something one of my support workers advised a long time ago.

Because I have memory issues .  Often have bought the same load of shopping twice. Or buying the same things over again when already have them.

So she suggested do a stock take of everything in my home.  Compiled this.  Went through and is very useful tip to do.

I have a folder sectioned with for example One page all the items for Breakfast another page the items for Italian recipes.

Every time need to do a shop double check and cross off of list have that this week.

Have some items starred for because buy those all the time.

This what the supermarkets do. Evaluate and look at stock.

Do not forget household stuff and items you need to survive.  Bin bags use a lot of zip bags great storage.  

I also think by just sitting down making meal plans is another one I do.

Make a menu do tumble downs. What chefs call them making one meal from one into another.

Saves hassle and time and money.

For example Bolognese into Chilli or Left over vegetables in Soup.

I use Sundays for soups, stocks, sauces dicing slicing vegetables and in tubs ready for the week ahead.

Veggies like Onions, Peppers, Carrots easily stored bottom of the fridge in tubs. Already sliced.

Having a disability and a mental health condition . I never know who or how I going to be.

Live on my own.  

Please if I can help with anything . Foodie wise or wish to have simple ideas have loads.

Tips, tricks new products out there to save time .  Always glad to be supportive.

Wish you well.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness