UC account closed — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC account closed

mustafaraoof
mustafaraoof Community member Posts: 17 Listener
has anyone had their UC account closed because according to UC I earned £2200 wherea I earned and showed them £1300 as earnings.
I went to the Job centre with my payslip to show my earnings.
its been three weeks.
any advice suggestions please.
thank you

Comments

• pink_princess
    pink_princess Community member Posts: 181 Pioneering
    edited August 2019
    Hi @mustafaraoof

I am a community champion volunteering role here on the online forum we answer any unanswered posts i just wanted to answer you as you have not had a reply yet. Sounds like a stressful time I'm not sure about benefits but I’m sure someone on here will have a idea or be able to signpost you to other organisations that may be able to help you.

I will see if someone can get back to your question 
    Any ideas @thespiceman (also a community champion)
    Or
     @Chloe_Scope
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Did you receive more than one wages during your assessment period? Or any pay from anywhere else? Sometimes this happens and if you receive more than your UC payment then your claim will be closed. UC use real time information from HMRC.

Did you re-start your claim by logging into your account? by doing this you'll keep the same payment dates as you previously had.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mustafaraoof
    Thankyou everyone lots
    allow me to explain pretty sure this is what’s happened
    6 jan 2019 lost my job 
    15th Jan signed up to UC
    23 April started new job
    31st April got first pay
    which was made up of 5 weeks
    i said to the wife UC payments will go down now.
    surprisingly 21st May and 21st June UC payments did not go down.
    because I was on emergency tax I rang HMRC end of June to query about my tax.
    to my amazement they had no record I was in employment but for some reason they were deducting tax.
    im certain as Poppy mentions because they overpaid UC in May and June the account was closed.
    on the morning of 15th July when the account was closed I re-applied.
    is my thinking right or wrong.
    please advice
    thankyou everyone

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @mustafaraoof
    It sounds as though your employer reported your wages late, so UC believed they all fell in the same assessment period. The fact you had no deductions for wages in your May payment and HMRC hadn't recorded that you were working supports this.
    When your income zeros your UC, they'll close your account, this is an automatic process.

You said you re-applied, did you create a new account or did you press the reapply/reclaim button in your usual account? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • mustafaraoof
    Hi Adrian 
    first of all many thanks for replying 
    i did re-apply/reclaim on the same day of learning my account being closed in my usual account.
    adrian as a rough guide what is going to happen next please advise.
    thankyou
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hi @mustafaraoof
    As you've reclaimed so quickly, your assessment periods and things won't change. Because your earnings didn't affect your May and June payments as they were supposed to, UC will look into whether you've now been overpaid. If so, they'll use the 40% rule to recover any money owed to them. 

Aside from that, your UC should continue like normal, with your assessment periods and payment date remaining the same. On the 15th August you should get your next statement and any payment on the 21st like usual.

I hope that helps but any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • mustafaraoof
    Thankyou I will let you know the outcome on Thursday 15th August 
  • mustafaraoof
    Hi adrian
    just to let you know this morning received the statement and all looks good checked the payment/calculation against a benefits calculator and it is similar.
    many thanks again you are a star
  • Adrian_Scope
    I’m glad it all worked out for you @mustafaraoof. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.