BALLPARK COSTS OF INDEPENDENT LIVING ACCOMODATION ? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

BALLPARK COSTS OF INDEPENDENT LIVING ACCOMODATION ?

gladys
gladys Community member Posts: 53 Courageous
Hi there all 
I am preparing documentation for a legal case on behalf of my son (Vigo). He is quad. CP with dystonia, but verbal and attends a mainstream school. After age 18 or so I anticipate he will live in supported/assisted accommodation. Can anyone give me a VERY ball park figure of how much the accommodation might cost per week (not including the PAs in the daytime). ? Approx £500-£1000 per week ? I am basing this on it being privately funded for the moment. 

All input much appreciated ! 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,343 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

The rent will totally depend on the area he lives and varies vastly all over the country. To find out an approximate amount the look at cost of renting a house in your area. For help with the rent it will be under universal credit or housing benefit. This is different to the cost of a PA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @gladys

As @poppy123456 says it will depend on where you are, the type of scheme you are looking for and the facilities. In general though the costs could vary from £500 to £1,500 per week. Depending on location and the services provided.

I am not sure that the idea of checking your local private renting is the best way forward, as there will be additional service  charges, and if the scheme is not one run by private company the actual rent element is likely to be below the market rent.

If you are looking for somewhere local it could be worth your while contacting your local council's housing options team who should be able to give you better guidance or sign post another organisation for further details.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello!

This will depend on your area. To find out, look at house prices in your county or area. Also look at supported living options too. Get in contact with your council and ask for the housing team. For more information research supported accommodation for disabled people as well. 

Brightness