Missing the feeling of community - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Missing the feeling of community

2»

Comments

• Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    I love the various languages ....I also love the accents used in various countries and areas of countries  . I can go ten miles in any direction from my village and the accents change . 
  • KittyTinker
    KittyTinker Community member Posts: 79 Pioneering
    Hi Seanchai I must agree that in my community it does seem that it’s still the older members who do the majority of the volunteering mainly retired healthy people. Our local library is now run by volunteers charity shops and cycling club etc. It does make you wonder now that the retirement age has been increased whether anyone will be fit enough to do such things on retirement.
  • Seanchai
    Yep Kitty ...my wife was a prolific volunteer all her life and prepared for her retirement by seeing what else she could do to help in the community...alas, she missed her retirement by three weeks ...the government changed women's retirement from 60 to 65 ....she was 65 in June but does not get her pension until January ...Nobody can tell us why that is the case and all we get told is " that's the rules " ?. I read an article in a magazine that very few people can explain these " rules" ...but...the money saved by not paying out pensions to women and men is going to prop up the MP's pensions . I,m not sure if that's true ...but...knowing this government and knowing the greed of MP,s I can quite believe it ( I am 64 years 6 months and I do not get my pension until 66 because of the new rules ) We just seem to moan amongst ourselves and accept whatever the government tells us . Right now , I await my face to face assessment for PIP ( even though I was given indefinite disability ...alas , from what I read I am not holding out much hope of a good outcome ?
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @KittyTinker   Pleased to meet you.  Regarding the volunteers being of an age to manage everything.

This is something I know myself as a long time doing volunteering. Have stopped for several reasons.

First one is the volunteering most of it is now a job not at all pleasurable.  In my young days loved what I was doing.

Something wrong when your volunteering and replacing a possible staff member . This has happened. Many times usually offices and doing some one else's role.

Have extensive admin qualifications experience. Got to thinking when they say to you at interview be from 8.30 to 3pm every day.  Or be part time like you to come in from 9am to and finish around 3pm.

In fact was around 4pm or later use you.  Feel the need to say hang on only a volunteer.

Second it is the problems around the DWP. Do not know this but if you know.

There has to be some clarification what we very much can be doing volunteering.  How many hours and times how long. I used to ask at interviews.

Then there is the expenses issues. One garden centre I volunteered for paid you per mile per day.  What ever the weathers.

Then they sort of persuade you to come in and you say well maybe. If you do get expenses. 

Then when you arrive find the real reason need some one a volunteer tidy up the place not be a gardener but help out.

This has happened in resource centres and have decided had enough.

Cost not a lot you see.  Why pay a wage got a volunteer.

Remember I am disabled and many of us are.

Talking of expenses another one was this man who was a volunteer sort of coordinator.  Met him first day. Sitting on his bum and getting the credit for everything.

All he did was order us ladies and gents who of a certain age youngest was me . I was around 53.  At the time.

Did diddly squat came in got his expenses. Even sent me a text being can you go to this garden centre pick up some thing.

He lived near by.  I lived about twenty miles away.  Once rang me in the cold weather me trapped in my home are you coming in.

No trapped in my home, cut me off end of chat.

Never understand the high turn over of volunteers this Team Manager asked me one day .

Could not understand it he enquired. I was not actually going to tell him the truth.  I am honest and open a Christian heart.

Hated this. I just did not know what to do.  Every time I think about the dishonesty from some people who volunteer.

Still smarts, hurts those that abuse the power. Long memories.

Main thing this the volunteer role for me.  Being on SCOPE forum as a community champions

I stopped another reason was the attitude and demeanour of the DWP.

Who had this sense of purpose if you volunteer and can do that . Then you can work.  Trust me seen that at any of a number of assessments.

Understand this any signs of coping with my disability zero points.  All I am doing was a bit of gardening but they do not see it like that.

Trying to help myself mentally and yet it is becoming a struggle .

Got asked about  this one . What do you do all day. Mentioned this.

All went quiet on that one. So I guess they know the assessors all about SCOPE.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Seanchai Thank you for your post.

Wish you well for your assessment. Is there anything I can be supportive with?

Hope every thing works out.

Always here if you need to know anything. I can answer if I can.

Your friend

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Seanchai
    Hi Spiceman....I have had a few good pointers on this site thanks ....I suppose it's one of those things that you can prepare for but I will not know until I have experienced it. I will let you know when I get word , I await with intrepidation ??
    Thank you very much ?
  • Seanchai
    edited August 2019
    Hi Spiceman.....I just read your post again , I am wondering whether to mention to the PIP assessors if I love my garden and it keeps me sane, they will see my garden is neat and tidy  if i get a home assessment..but any heavy work is done by my sons , plus i have a council contractor cut and edge my lawn every two weeks. I wonder if I should mention that I like doing odds and ends in the garden ...or as I would call it " pottering around" . ...on days I am feeling " not to bad" COPD and Menieres disease...which make me rather dizzy and unsteady on my feet . I was in the greenhouse when I got hit suddenly by an attack of menieres...i headed to the back door but i never made it...i went down and crawled into bed and lay there with my eyes closed for a day ( if i open my eyes the world is spinning around ....and of course that makes me feel sick ) it's like I have drank to much and the ceiling is spinning like a top ....but I don,t drink these days .??

Brightness