Twitch in neck. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Twitch in neck.

Birdsnbees
Birdsnbees Community member Posts: 75 Pioneering
Hi scope friends,

I'm recently discovering that all my life I've had a twitch in my neck that makes my head jerk. It doesn't happen all the time, only occasionally and at the moment a lot because I'm aware of it. Most of my life I've hidden it and have only become aware of it since coming to terms with the fact I am autistic.

Is it common for those with autism to have tics or twitches? Online says it's quite common and lots of people have them, autism or not.

I have other issues going on and not up for making a mountain out of a mole hill out of it. I would like to understand it better and come to a point of acceptance in knowing how to move forward with it and grow with it still a part of me

Is it worth me going to see a GP? I'd rather not - seen enough GP's to last a life time
Is it worth me getting it investigated?

It could be a contributor/indicator of something else going on linked to my already established conditions.

I noticed it once when under a lot of stress 6 years ago and besides then, now and the tic is very frequent now because I'm aware of it. All these years I've had it and have been hiding it.

Hope to hear your feelings and thoughts

Best wishes

Birdsnbees

Comments

• Hartley
    Hartley Posts: 114 Courageous
    @Birdsnbees

Hi mate

If it was me and it was bothering me to the point ive asked a question on Scope...I'd go to the gp and see if they could give you a referral to adult autism services maybe?...im guessing safely youre an adult?   over 18?
  • Hartley
    @Birdsnbees

ps   i think my Autism came from my father and regrettably my Autism passed to my son....If i had been diagnosed when younger i wouldnt have had children but im so happy my son and daughter are here and it is what it is..

My father use to tic and do odd movements when he was stressed...it was for him.stress coming out....there were times when he would look like a manikin..Complete mask faced and shut down...I had a terrible up bringing through him...lots of violence...but now i can see he had his issues and couldnt cope...He clearly was an undiagnosed Autistic...Died 5yrs ago...Never diagnosed....I wholeheartidly know he was Autistic...Ive only just come to that realisation this year after being diagnosed with Autism myself at 51yrs old....code 299 and f84.0 Autism..Not Aspergers...

I say all of the above, because you mentioned tics and he always exhibited these..
    Vocal sounds, physical facial tics..and flick of his head..

Its a tradigy really  as i hated him for so long and didnt see him since 1990....If i met him today i would tell him i forgive him..

Life continues and thats that.....

Get your twitch checked and let us know how you get on...if you feel you want to.
  • Birdsnbees
    @Hartley Hi

I have made a self-referral to the autism team, waiting for a diagnostic assessment. Sent it in May and the letter says 6-8 months wait
  • Hartley
    @Birdsnbees

Ah!  Have you been officially diagnosed?

It took me 1 year before i got to the adult autism assessment centre 28th june this year was the first meeting...now just waiting on the 2nd....They sent my results to the wrong address and the lady there opened it up.....long story but ive posted the details on here so check it out if you like,,

It seems theyre inundated with people being referred! 
  • Hartley
    @Birdsnbees

ps ...i had to be referred  by my gp and another person at the surgery..
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Birdsnbees I've noticed a lot recently that when I become too stressed, I have this twitch at the back of my neck but I also do have a lot of nerve damage and 2 neurological conditions. Although, I didn't experience my twitch when diagnosed, so I think mine is solely stress-related. It is bizarre how stress can affect our bodies. I would suggest mentioning it to your GP about it to give you peace of mind :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

My son also has a twitch which appears when he's stressed and just randomly goes away again but he definitely doesn't have Autism. I agree that stress can do a lot to our bodies.

My daughter has Autism but doesn't have a twitch. She wasn't diagnosed until she was 17. Fought for her for 14 years and finally got them to agree to the ASD assessment and waited just 4 months for the process to begin. It took about 4/5 months in total before we got the diagnosis.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    can autism be genetic? didnt know that if it is so. 
    take care everyone..x
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Birdsnbees, thank you for sharing this with us. To be on the safe side I would speak to your GP about this. :)
    Scope

• Birdsnbees
    Thanks everyone :)
  • Birdsnbees
    edited August 2019
    Hartley said:
    @Birdsnbees

Ah!  Have you been officially diagnosed?

It took me 1 year before i got to the adult autism assessment centre 28th june this year was the first meeting...now just waiting on the 2nd....They sent my results to the wrong address and the lady there opened it up.....long story but ive posted the details on here so check it out if you like,,

It seems theyre inundated with people being referred! 
    Hartley no, I've self referred to the local Autism team. Their website said that they accepted self-referrals and if you can get something done yourself I'd much rather do that. Tired of explaining myself to GPs and medical peeps. Since I've had the referral, all my interactions with medical staff have been much better. It's like they've seen it on my notes and know how to handle me now and what to expect

Be great to see the details of your process... are they on your profile or another thread?

I had been dealing with mental health issues whilst sorting out a physical health condition and after some time of exploring different possibilities, having therapy for six months and taking the time to process life had it suggested to me in the nicest way possible I may be autistic. After spending time thinking about it, piecing events in my life together and then realising I have sensory differences in my body it adds up. It was weird being in my body for sometime. Did an at home blood type test kit and the second time I used a lancet (thing used to stab you to get blood out) I accidentally stabbed too hard in the middle of my finger and there was lots of blood. How I feel and my perception of pressure is different.
  • Birdsnbees
    edited August 2019
    @Hartley regarding having lots of requests, maybe more people are coming to accept autism and that they may have it. Never even entered my mind might be me until sometime of being able to look at myself objectively and kindly.

I mentioned the autism re the twitch thinking it may be uncovered now because of realising I have been masking it

Brightness