Hidden disabilities - lack of empathy from employers — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hidden disabilities - lack of empathy from employers

Mpv1412
Mpv1412 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Good morning all...And what an awful morning it is too ⛈☔!

Just wanted to introduce myself to this informative forum.

I'm 53 and in full time employment as a nurse. My difficulties are hidden disabilities and come in the guise of severe and premature osteoarthritis requiring bilateral hip replacements in my mid-forties & finger joint fusion surgeries, I have chronic pain, a pacemaker for heart block & a closure device in my heart to block a 3cm hole which was discovered by chance. I have a severely enlarged right heart and suffer from paroxysmal atrial fibrillation but aside from that, tickety-boo! 

From the outside I look the picture of health which proves very difficult only too often.

I have found having difficulties with my health over the years very challenging at times due to a lack of empathy from some employers which is often an uphill battle.

I'm hoping to find help and information here & help share my own experiences too ? x.

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Mpv1412   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions.  We guide, advise and help new members who join the forum.

Please have a look around our website. You come to the right place for information and support.

Feel free to join in discussions we are friendly, care and share.

You mentioned your health conditions. Sorry to hear this  There will be members of our community who can identify what you are experiencing and going through.

If you are interested do have the following numbers and helplines for additional support.

National Osteoporosis Society who also deal with Osteoarthritis .

Helpline 0808 800 0035

Also may be useful speaking to The British Heart Foundation if that helps you.  For more information and guidance or advice.  If you need it.

https://www.bhf.org.uk.

Helpline 0300 330 3311.

Please if we can help with any thing . Please ask some one will know a member of our community or a member of our team.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Mpv1412

Good Afternoon it’s great to meet you today?

I’m also one off the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

My good friend @thespiceman
    has given you some good info already.

If there is anything else that help/support you with please please let me know!!!!

@steve51
  • megan_parker
    megan_parker Community member Posts: 12 Connected
    Hi @Mpv1412

So lovely to meet you! I am also one of the Community Champions here at Scope so if you need any help or advice please don't hesitate to ask!

This is a very friendly community so I hope speaking to others in similar situations and being able to express your feelings helps you, and makes you realise that you're not alone :)

Thank you for joining!
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Mpv1412 and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  Thanks for sharing with us.  I hope you enjoy your time on the Community and make some new friends through it.  I look forward to seeing you around the Community.  If there is anything else we can help you with then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Mpv1412 welcome to the community! Thank you for sharing this with us, how are you doing today? Please let us know what we can help you with :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
    Welcome to the community @Mpv1412. I'm really glad you found us. Please let us know if there's anything we can do to help. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness