PIPS money....what do people use it for..? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIPS money....what do people use it for..?

Opus
Opus Posts: 47 Courageous
Feel free to engage or not...but i am curious what people use their PIPS awards money actually for?

If i received high mobility rate i would hire a mobility car...if middle or standard(not sure what they call it) then youre kind of in a fix as you cant use it to hire a car..
Ive never really thought about it until now!

Home help would be swallowed up in a few hrs so what is the money for?   you dont have to give personal testimonies  but whats the money supposed to go to?

Comments

• worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    For me I need it for day to day.

I got backdated ESA EDP money back in february time, and £600 of it is already gone on day to day living costs as my outgoing are more than my incoming.  £80 a month of my ESA goes towards my rent is a big factor, the other is the cost of food and electric, the joys of having to rent privately in an era where the state routinely refuses to cover market rents.

I will have some left over but I expect half of it to just to balance the books.
  • Opus
    worried33 said:
    For me I need it for day to day.

I got backdated ESA EDP money back in february time, and £600 of it is already gone on day to day living costs as my outgoing are more than my incoming.  £80 a month of my ESA goes towards my rent is a big factor, the other is the cost of food and electric, the joys of having to rent privately in an era where the state routinely refuses to cover market rents.

I will have some left over but I expect half of it to just to balance the books.
    Ouch"   i get your point...!  isnt it more costly to be disabled(hopefully thats the correct word)?   i think i read somewhere heating etc...is all the more ,so makes perfect sense it would go towards living costs.
  • worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    Well yeah thats my life, I live on my own, I am the one and only billpayer for my household.

So I expect you going to get some highly variable answers here as it really depends on the circumstances of the person.

In terms of costs directly associated with my disabilities, that would be my taxi fares, , and things I buy to pass the time, to compensate for the fact I need to occupy myself at home in my flat instead of been able to do it by doing things like walking to the canal like what I used to.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,368 Disability Gamechanger
    My mobility goes to pay for my mobility car. The other part is used for high water and gas bills, my disability means I use more gas in the winter and more water all year.

It’s entirely up to you what you spend it on. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Opus
    worried33 said:
    Well yeah thats my life, I live on my own, I am the one and only billpayer for my household.

So I expect you going to get some highly variable answers here as it really depends on the circumstances of the person.

In terms of costs directly associated with my disabilities, that would be my taxi fares, , and things I buy to pass the time, to compensate for the fact I need to occupy myself at home in my flat instead of been able to do it by doing things like walking to the canal like what I used to.
    Totally get your points.....as long as ive got internet access(dont watch tv) and netflix...thats it really.....but i do have to watch what kind of foods i eat..so that costs a wee bit ,more"
  • Opus
    My mobility goes to pay for my mobility car. The other part is used for high water and gas bills, my disability means I use more gas in the winter and more water all year.

It’s entirely up to you what you spend it on. 
    I oddly prefer the cold...so the winter bills arent to steep for me......The cold tightened my muscles which oddly(again) i feel squeezes out heaven knows what..but it helps a bit..

It must be horrible to get use to the money then have it taken away!..
  • Opus
    Opus said:
    worried33 said:

Totally get your points.....as long as ive got internet access(dont watch tv) and netflix...thats it really.....but i do have to watch what kind of foods i eat..so that costs a wee bit ,more"
    Forgot to ask!...and i know it varies. Is it roughly £50 for a standard car with no adaptions? weekly?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Enhanced mobility is £61.20 per week. Most of the cars are the total weekly allowance. There's some that maybe slightly less each week. There's also some the require an advance payment when collecting your car but this will depend on your car choice and spec etc. See more here https://www.motability.co.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.