PIP ASSESSMENT — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP ASSESSMENT

westwellgoddard
westwellgoddard Community member Posts: 19 Listener
edited August 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Nothing out of the ordinary. Had F2F last week and the report says that I can reliably walk 50 metres but no more then 200 but I only walked 30 metres witch I stopped half way because I was in pain so 15 metres. Also that I can plan a journey reliably because I went into the assessment room by myself although I never actually planned the journey to the assessment centre my brother took me and waited for me outside. I have Autism . Anxiety&Depression chronic widespread pain & fibromyalgia . Haven’t even got the full report yet so I beg to differ what that says about daily living activities. 

Also if needed MR would they take into count I never planned a journey I wouldn’t know how to my brother took me to the assessment centre? And the fact I never walked more then 50 metres there’s CCTV in the assessment centre. It’s a constant battle to prove yourself when you do it’s chucked back in ur face 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @westwellgoddard   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and also sharing.

Sorry to hear this.  I am one of the team of community champions on the forum.

We guide, advise and help new members who join the community.

Please can I suggest you can appeal decision.  Have a look at our website. Has plenty of information on appeals.

Please can I also advise you could ask your local CAB office to help you.

Also you mentioned mental health issues. Are you receiving any support for this might be worth considering.

I know this is a difficult time for you . I used mental health charities.

Used this one last time.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.  Can help with wellbeing and benefits.  Do take clientele with additional disabilities or associated problems related to mental health.

Also floating support or an outreach worker.

Might not be in all areas.  

You are not alone with . Many of our members have been through with this procedure including myself.

We are here to be supportive. Please ask anything further get in touch.

Some one will know a member of our community or a member of our team.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • westwellgoddard
    Got the assessment report and it’s shocked me. Suggests enhanced daily living. Still only scored 4 points via walking .. will this help me for MR? Considering I only walked 30 metres and he’s put in the report there’s proof of pain & considering He said I can plan a journey I never planned the journey just walked into the assessment room alone? He’s also stated that due to my conditions it’s reasonable to say I can’t do these activities but because I went into the room by myself that’s apparantley enough evidence to prove I planed a whole 20 mile journey when 1 I have no license . 2 I NEVER use public transport never have done & 3 I told him my brother took me ... so what did I do call Aladdin and ask for a lift?
  • A1ikou
    A1ikou Community member Posts: 4 Connected
    Sadly it is one of those things that can go either way,  depending on the decision maker. My report was very similar. Said l should get 4pts on mobility,  despite writing he saw me struggle on 25m walk. I was lucky,  my decision maker over ruled the assessment & gave me 10pts. So,  wait for the decision but most definitely start preparing how to use the comments on pain etc for a possible MR. Good luck.
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @westwellgoddard - if you ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration I wonder if you could clarify a couple of things?

When you say that you never use public transport why is that? Do you go out locally - shopping, or to the doctors?

How far are you able to walk? Does pain prevent you walking over 30m?

Hope this helps ...good luck!

PS Mobility isn't about driving so not having a driving licence isn't really relevant...
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hell and welcome to the community, saying you can’t plan a journey is a difficult one to prove, do you have a dog and take it for walks even using an aid or mobility scooter, go shopping, or the doctors. When you had your assessment the assessor will have asked you questions unrelated to your mobility issues in general conversation and will make an assumption that you can walk further than you declare or demonstrate.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @westwellgoddard and a warm welcome to the community! I hope you get the decision you need. We will be here if you take it to Mandatory Reconsideration though. :)
    Scope

• westwellgoddard
    wilko said:
    Hell and welcome to the community, saying you can’t plan a journey is a difficult one to prove, do you have a dog and take it for walks even using an aid or mobility scooter, go shopping, or the doctors. When you had your assessment the assessor will have asked you questions unrelated to your mobility issues in general conversation and will make an assumption that you can walk further than you declare or demonstrate.
    Hello, it’s not really difficult though as I have autism and anxiety I don’t plan journeys as I get confused and have a breakdown my mind forgets I don’t go to my doctors it’s all telephone appointments and my prescriptions are delivered via post (proved) . I don’t go shopping this is done for me he never really spoke to me about unrelated questions as he also said he could see I was agitated and ‘ very withdrawn ‘ as he wrote in his words .. regarding the walking regardless if you use aids or not if you can not walk 50 metres without a crutch then that’s perfectly good reason and I have perfectly good proof of the pain. IE. Doctors letters and diagnoses .. they just make there own assumptions up arghhhh
  • westwellgoddard
    cristobal said:
    @westwellgoddard - if you ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration I wonder if you could clarify a couple of things?

When you say that you never use public transport why is that? Do you go out locally - shopping, or to the doctors?

How far are you able to walk? Does pain prevent you walking over 30m?

Hope this helps ...good luck!

PS Mobility isn't about driving so not having a driving licence isn't really relevant...
    Hi I don’t use public transport as I wouldn’t know how to. I’ve tried but my brain can’t process it I get lost and don’t know how to follow a route REGARDLESS of directions as noise sensory difficulties and anxiety overrules that. All my journeys are planned for me and are always accompanied by a person regardless if I know how to get to the bottom shop I’ll never ever dream of going on my own itd cause to much stress if someone I didn’t know spoke to me. Weird life but this is me ....

Also regarding the pain my knees and hips and lower spine absolutely ache not every single day I told him, majority of days I’m in pain to the point I have to stop or I’ll just drop to the floor if I keep taking breaks and stopping this then eases the pain a little so I can walk a little more then when I’m back to the pain I stop it’s a cycle going round n round. He asked if I walk at home I said I’m usually sitting or lying down 
  • westwellgoddard
    A1ikou said:
    Sadly it is one of those things that can go either way,  depending on the decision maker. My report was very similar. Said l should get 4pts on mobility,  despite writing he saw me struggle on 25m walk. I was lucky,  my decision maker over ruled the assessment & gave me 10pts. So,  wait for the decision but most definitely start preparing how to use the comments on pain etc for a possible MR. Good luck.
    I’m glad you got what you deserved. He put in the report about the 30 m and that I had to stop half way due to pain... do you have any tips for comments on pain? As this is all new for me I have stepped into the adult world at the deep end I’m not good with words
  • worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    I think with the mobility descriptor, they are expecting people to barely take one step to award 20m or under, and maybe a few steps for 50m, it does feel like they looking for really "extreme" symptons.

I cant really offer an opinion tho other than it is good news that A1ikou's DM overuled the AP.  I am kind of hoping the same, as interestingly my report put a ton of evidence that supports a higher descriptor that I got, and only one that supports the descriptor he gave.  

Whilst I felt my HCP was one of the better ones I have had and certainly better than the lady who assessed me for DLA, his reasoning for the descriptor he gave is fantasy.  
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2019
    worried33 said:

I think with the mobility descriptor, they are expecting people to barely take one step to award 20m or under, and maybe a few steps for 50m, it does feel like they looking for really "extreme" symptoms.

@worried33 - that may be your experience and it's useful to know...

Don't forget about the 'reliability' criteria though...

For example if some can't walk 20m other than very slowly they will score 12 points, even if they can walk several hundred metres at the same slow pace ...

• westwellgoddard
    cristobal said:
    worried33 said:

I think with the mobility descriptor, they are expecting people to barely take one step to award 20m or under, and maybe a few steps for 50m, it does feel like they looking for really "extreme" symptoms.

@worried33 - that may be your experience and it's useful to know...

For example if some can't walk 20m other than very slowly they will score 12 points, even if they can walk several hundred metres at the same slow pace ...

I also thought it went by ‘ reliably and repeatedly ‘ as that’s all it says in my report ... like maybe I can walk 200 metres but how long does that take? Argh stressful just gotta wish for the best
  • worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    edited August 2019
    cristobal said:
    worried33 said:

Oh yeah I know that, I was just trying to conclude how HCP's themselves might be deciding how to award those descriptors.

You could have someone who could walk 20m normal pace, then have to stop, and that would "technically" qualify,  But the HCP might watch you for 10m, and think yep 10m normal pace ok they can manage 200m no problem.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.