Inconsistent PIP timescales — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Inconsistent PIP timescales

chris74
chris74 Community member Posts: 11 Connected
Hi all, I hope I can get some guidance please.

I made a new PIP claim 30th April as I was made disabled in the Armed Forces in the 1990's. I have a letter from the WPS stating I am disabled due to an accident whilst serving. I had my face to face on 18th June this year, and a letter dated 16th July saying they have all the evidence they need for my claim. I have a copy of the medical report that states I have enough points for a pip award. 

Each time I call to chase up what is happening to my claim I am told of different time scales for an answer. Now I am told I could be waiting another 9 weeks, which I have already waited over 15 weeks, just seems inconsistent with government published timescales, and excessive against what other people have said on forums. 

I'm a bit lost of what to do next? I have a complaint filed, but have been told it can take several months to get a reply.

Comments

• debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Hi @chris74
    unfortunately this is all to common.In some areas there is a huge backlog of claims, others not so much.
    I waited 8 weeks for mine a friend in the next county had to wait 17 weeks. It’s just a matter of where you live and how many to be assessed in your area. All I can suggest is give it a week or so and ask for the assessors report this should give you some idea as to what award you will get.
         Debsidoo.xx

• chris74
    Hi Debsidoo

Thank you for the reply. The entire process is stressful to be honest. I have a copy of my assessors report dated 4th July. It states they recommend I be awarded pip with a 2 year review. But pip haven't even read the report yet. Not to mention that during my face to face the only questions asked was about my physical condition, nothing about PTSD, my autism,  severe depression (as I have tried to take my own life), and moments of brain fog where I can remember my own wife's name ( all documented through my GP). This process with pip isn't helping.
  • AhhBisto
    AhhBisto Community member Posts: 48 Courageous
    edited August 2019
    Unfortunately as I learned there is no real timescale, they will take as long as they want to take. We're still waiting, our timescales are

Applied pip 21st December 2018
    Paperwork received by DWP 3rd Jan 2019 + 13 Days
    Appointment 20th March 2019 + 76 Days
    0 Point Decision 5th June 2019 + 77 Days
    MR confirmed 13th June 2019 + 8 Days
    Still waiting + 62 days

Total so far 236 Days

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @chris74, pip has no time scale the figures advertised, published are only a guide most cases fall in or around those time scales but unfortunately cases like your and others go way over the time scale causing anxiety for the claimants. As you and others have chased up the DWP for an answer and nothing forth coming I would contact my MP for help on the mater giving evidence of the time line you have had to wait and the non Infomation that DWP gives you on each and every time you enquire about your case. Good luck and we all hope you get your award notification letter sooner than later.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @chris74, like others have said, unfortunately there is no set time due to large backlogs. So much so, people's reviews are being further towards the end of their award.

I wish you the very best of luck and I hope you aren't waiting too long!
    Scope

• vivienne1
    vivienne1 Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    Given the timescales mentioned for my area the process will have taken 7 months.

Its disgraceful and I can’t understand why it’s just passively accepted. No other civil service department would get away with it. I was a decision maker in another department before being medically retired and we had strict timescales or all hell broke loose. Disability charities should be pressing the issue as waiting is so stressful especially if you know the report is wrong. 

• chris74
    Hi, I've just spoken with PIP who have said my case keeps getting past from one person to another as each assessor is at full capacity, and each time my case is passed on it gets put to the back of the queue. For context, I live in Telford.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @chris74, I imagine this is very frustrating! I really hope you aren't waiting too much longer and that someone will accept your case soon!
    Scope

• debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Hi @chris74
    i know it’s not much consolation now but at least if the report suggests an award the longer you wait the more back pay you’ll get so try and look at it as a handy way of saving.
       Debsidoo.xx
  • chris74
    Hi all, just wanted to give you all an update. I have called PIP today, and as it has now been 17 weeks since my application, 10 weeks since my F2F and 7 weeks since PIP had my report, a CM assessed my claim and I have been awarded PIP. Most people on the PIP helpline are very friendly, and have helped and shown compassion for the stresses involved in making a claim. I've had one person, out of over a dozen, not be very nice and rude, but apart from that, and the very long delay, PIP have been great, they just need more resources to speed things up, but that isn't the fault of those who answer the phones. For anyone reading this, don't give up, just call PIP helpline, it might not be the answer you was wanting, but they do give you an honest one. Good luck x
  • Chloe_Scope
    Thanks for the update @chris74 and I'm glad you received great support from the PIP helpline!
    Scope

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    chris74 said:
    Hi all, just wanted to give you all an update. I have called PIP today, and as it has now been 17 weeks since my application, 10 weeks since my F2F and 7 weeks since PIP had my report, a CM assessed my claim and I have been awarded PIP. Most people on the PIP helpline are very friendly, and have helped and shown compassion for the stresses involved in making a claim. I've had one person, out of over a dozen, not be very nice and rude, but apart from that, and the very long delay, PIP have been great, they just need more resources to speed things up, but that isn't the fault of those who answer the phones. For anyone reading this, don't give up, just call PIP helpline, it might not be the answer you was wanting, but they do give you an honest one. Good luck x
    So pleased to hear you finally got your PIP award. xx
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    chris74 said:
     Most people on the PIP helpline are very friendly, and have helped and shown compassion for the stresses involved in making a claim. I've had one person, out of over a dozen, not be very nice and rude, but apart from that, and the very long delay, PIP have been great, they just need more resources to speed things up, but that isn't the fault of those who answer the phones. For anyone reading this, don't give up, just call PIP helpline, it might not be the answer you was wanting, but they do give you an honest one. Good luck x
    I agree - I've never had anything less than top service from the DWP - polite, helpful, they've sent letters out which I've always received within a couple of days...

I've normally got through on the 'phone within 10-15 minutes, perhaps I've been lucky.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.