Really stressed and anxious about PIP. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Really stressed and anxious about PIP.

missy12345
missy12345 Community member Posts: 28 Connected
Hi. 
I suffer from depression and bad anxiety, I can’t go over my front door or plan a journey due to me getting so anxious I vomit, anyways I had my face to face 26th June. My mum came with me as I can’t go out alone at all.. she spoke mostly for me.. i need prompting do to anything and my parents need to actually watch me take my meds otherwise I’d take them all. Am I likely to get pip? 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @missy12345 welcome to the community! PIP isn't based on a diagnosis, but instead it is based on how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily tasks and your mobility. Unfortunately, we are unable to predict whether you will be awarded or not, it all depends on the answers meet the descriptors. Keep us updated :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • missy12345
    Hi thanks for replying to me. I’m new to all this and just don’t understand how it all works. I think I do meet the criteria for pip and Iv done the pip test online too but I do understand that even the online test doesn’t actually matter. I just feel so stressed and my anxiety is really bad just waiting on a decision 
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    It's a well known phrase here on the community that benefits are a minefield. It is an anxious and daunting process and every one of us can relate to how you're feeling, you're not alone :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,585 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you requested the assessment report?  This gives you a good idea of how many points you'll score, although it's not a definite until you receive the decision letter.  As you've been waiting a while, the decision shouldn't be too much longer hopefully.

It does sound like you should meet the criteria for the mobility part but it really depends on how the assessor interprets the information you gave.  The fact you made it to a face to face instead of having to have a home assessment may even go against you.  I am also agoraphobic btw, not to the same extent though as I can go out alone (albeit with a lot of preparation, planning and bathroom visits!) so didn't score anything sadly.
  • missy12345
    Thank you means a lot. I just hope I get something 
  • missy12345
    Yeah I’ve requested a copy of my report so hopefully should arrive soon.. when the assessor asked how I got there my mum told her we got a taxi as I can’t go in public transport whatsoever, I was so anxious throughout the whole interview and just wanted to go home:. I don’t expect to get anything for mobility but I think I should get something for daily living as I do meet the criteria. 
  • OverlyAnxious
    Yeah I’ve requested a copy of my report so hopefully should arrive soon.. when the assessor asked how I got there my mum told her we got a taxi as I can’t go in public transport whatsoever, I was so anxious throughout the whole interview and just wanted to go home:. I don’t expect to get anything for mobility but I think I should get something for daily living as I do meet the criteria. 
    Ok, that's a good start. :smile: 

Planning & following a journey is part of the mobility side of PIP so it sounds like you should get some points there.  Supervision to take meds and prompting for other things should get you some points for the daily living as well but supervision & prompting only score quite low on each descriptor so you need to cover a few of those to get enough points for an award.
  • missy12345
    Thanks. 
    How many points do I actually need to be awarded? Sorry this is just new to me. 
    When I done the online pip test I scored 18 for daily and 10 for mobility. I know it’s not accurate whatsoever but I had to do it just to see. I basically need supervision when preparing and cutting up food otherwise I wouldn’t be cutting up the food and would indeed cut myself instead. I know that sounds stupid and believe me I feel very stupid.. my parents are here with me everyday basically doing everything and making sure I’m safe.. my mum said all that at the interview my meds keep going up and changing too which is also stressful. If I had my way I’d stay in bed all day do nothing at all as I honestly don’t care if I’m here or not. 
  • OverlyAnxious
    You need to score at least 8 points to receive the standard rate, and at least 12 points for the enhanced rate.  So on your online test it looks like you should get enhanced daily living, and standard mobility.  Even if it's not totally accurate you should hopefully receive some award at least!  You'll have to let us know when the assessment report comes through. :smile:
  • missy12345
    I will let you know when it arrives. Iv got no clue how to see how Many points I have with the report tho, I get very easily stressed and anxious and I then get confused. I’m dreading when the report comes in case they have written horrible things about me etc 
  • chris74
    chris74 Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    Hi missy12345 sorry to hear you are going through tough times with PIP, this is something I can relate to as I am further down the line with my claim, but not finished yet after 15 weeks. 

When you get your report, if you see something you dont agree with, or you have more evidence to support your claim that wasnt covered in your one to one, there may still be time to send it to the DWP before the assessor reviews your claim. Give PIP a call if there is, they will let you know if you can send supporting evidence. 

I hope you get an answer soon.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @missy12345 and a very warm welcome to the community!

Thank you for taking the time to reach out and I'm sorry the process is making you anxious. You are able to request a copy of your report if you'd like to see what the recommendations have been made, and what the assessor has said. It's understandable if you don't want a copy of this though.

I hope you don't have to wait much longer for a decision and that it's a positive outcome for you. Please do let us know if there is anything else we can do to help :)
    Scope

• missy12345
    Hi thanks for all the replies, means a lot!! I’m just stressing myself out now with worry about not getting awarded when I know I’m entitled to it, been suffering for years on my own hiding things, at my face to face the assesser seemed really nice and was actually along my mum the questions rather than me but that’s prob coz I was a wreck with anxiety thru the roof. Just hope I get a good outcome 
  • Chloe_Scope
    I really hope it is a positive outcome @missy12345. :)
    Scope

• missy12345
    all I can do now is wait and see what the actual outcome is. When you read all the horror stories regarding pip it really does make me worry even more 
  • Chloe_Scope
    I can understand that causing you to worry! Positive outcomes do happen, unfortunately they are not publicised as much. I wish you the very best of luck!
    Scope

• missy12345
    Well this morning I received the report and they have ticked the box that I can do things unaided so that will give me 0 points. I’m gutted been crying ever since. I don’t have enough to feed my self these days. I’m tired of life treating me this way. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    @missy12345, I'm so sorry to read this. Will you be putting in for a Mandatory Reconsideration? We have some info about it here.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Missy, oh dear, this isnt good for your anxiety at all!
    It`s clear to me that you do need a lot of help with so many things. But the assessors are getting it wrong too often,.

Do go for the MR. 

Better luck for next time chick...although luck shouldnt have to come into it.

i`m waiting to hear something too.
    xxx

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.