Scammers need reporting — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Scammers need reporting

Hartley
Hartley Posts: 114 Courageous
Video evidence...anything should be handed to dwp

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @harley, what do you mean by this?
    Scope

• vivienne1
    vivienne1 Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    People know nothing of personal circumstances. I think folk should tread very warily unless aware of all the FACTS. Illnesses can affect you differently each day and an unnecessary investigation could cause someone a great deal of trauma. 
  • dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    There are great many invisible disabilities which may not be visible to others, not all disabilities have visible symptoms. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,335 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm really not sure exactly what you mean by this. You can't judge a book by it's cover! Lots of people suffer from invisible disabilities and no one knows exactly what goes on, on the inside. A person can "look" perfectly normal but are far from you and people shouldn't be judged because of it.

My daughter claims Enhanced PIP for both parts and looks completely normal, until you spend time with her and then you'll see just how much help and support she needs each day.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Hartley
    I mean actions...not looks
  • Hartley
    It also costs the dwp 100's of thousands of pounds.
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    I believe, although I can't say for certain, that errors/miscalculations by the DWP cost almost twice as much a fraud...
  • Hartley
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2019
    Sorry...just to clarify my earlier comment.

There are apparently billions of pounds worth of benefits that aren't claimed - either because people don't want them, or are to embarrassed to claim, or various other reasons including claimants who aren't give benefits who should be...

This dwarfs the amount of money that is lost due to fraud (although you do have to wonder how anyone knows what that figure is??)

• Hartley
    edited August 2019
    cristobal said:
    Sorry...just to clarify my earlier comment.

There are apparently billions of pounds worth of benefits that aren't claimed - either because people don't want them, or are to embarrassed to claim, or various other reasons including claimants who aren't give benefits who should be...

This dwarfs the amount of money that is lost due to fraud (although you do have to wonder how anyone knows what that figure is??)

I would never judge someone purely based on looks...or even having a nice normal day for a change..ie walking etc...enjoying life!

What i was hoping people would grasp...the nuance..!   Is this!..

When someone claims to have x y & z...YET! you repeatidly and i mean repetitively having great ease, and ability that far surpasses their condition...

Theres a lady who claimed 100k and was imprisoned recently...The courts used a video of her dancing on a cruise ship....the stories out there on google...

And obviously the case didnt just rest on that fact alone...and i wouldnt want to shoot myself in the foot either...but you'll never see me at a gym....although for some this may help them gain strength....im talking the obvious things..

I went to Ibiza 2011...the last holiday i had..other than St ives cornwall 2012 ..but in Ibiza...i actually had to hunt out a pharmacy and i easily brought some tramadol(i didnt pack well..my mistake) was amazed it could b e brought just like that.Ibiza Town!...if anyone had followed me on this holiday...it wouldnt have raised anyone eyebrows at all...

Its such a fine line, and even someone witnessing me strolling very slowly could say "oh look..i know him...he doesnt even need a wheel chair and looks to be walking fine"....its a tricky business really...
    I think im going to stop opening discussions that are contentious as its getting me into bother...

Will be keeping it light and reasonable henceforth..

Im not commenting anymore on this thread..

Cheers

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.