PIP Tribunal help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Tribunal help

Jurph
Jurph Community member Posts: 369 Pioneering
Hi everyone!

I'm mainly here for support as I'm freaking out. My PIP tribunal is on Wednesday and I'm terrified. I've been waiting 18 months!

I feel so sick. I'm hoping you'll offer some advice and let me know if there's anything else I could do to prepare.

I sent in further evidence a few weeks back. I have Fibromyalgia so it's pretty rubbish evidence to be honest. Anyway, that's all done and confirmed and I've received more paperwork to add to the bundle.

My "Grounds for appeal" was pretty thorough - I said what I disagreed with in the assessor's report, clarified how I met the descriptors and said which points I think I should have been awarded.

I've just panicked because I've seen something called a Submission but my Grounds for Appeal sounds just like that.

What should I do now? What more can I do?

Thanks

Comments

• Cazann
    Cazann Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
    Hi @Jurph . It sounds like you have done all that you can do. It is daunting going to the tribunal. I've just had mine, two weeks ago on Wednesday. The panel were very nice and just asked me questions about how my disablity effects my every day life. I was only in there just over 15 minutes and after a further 5 mins, I was told that my appeal was allowed. I was awarded  8 points for daily living and 12 points for mobility. I went with my daughter and although I was nervous, I kept telling myself, that I deserved to get this award,as my condition had worsened over the years. I had been on Disability Living Allowance, for over 13 years and had to apply for PIP and as with thousands of other people who are on DLA, going over to PIP. I was turned down. This made me determined to fight the DWP's decision and after 18 months, I finally got there!
    Good luck for Wednesday and please let us know how you get on. xxx

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @Jurph, try to. remain calm and stress less, not easy but try to stay footnotes the reasons why you are going to the tribunal. Stop, think about what you say when asked questions by the tribunal hearing members, if you are not sure what they are asking they don’t be afraid to asked for the question to be repeated, you misheard or didn’t, don’t understand the question. Not been to a tribunal but questions may be asked in a way to try and catch you out. Good luck for Wednesday and keep us updated and keep posted.
  • Jurph
    Thanks @Cazann

Did your daughter go in with you? 

My mum is coming with me. I was going to take her in with me as she can back up a few points. However, I'm starting to think she shouldn't as I think I'm more open about how I struggle. I tend to put on a brave face in front of her.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Unless your mum is your appointee then you will have to speak for yourself during the hearing. At the end the panel will sometimes ask the person with you if there's anything they want to add but this doesn't always happen. Make sure you take the bundle with you.

Sometimes it's not possible for them to make a decision on the day, if this happens it doesn't mean anything other than a decision couldn't be made. They will send you a decision letter within a couple of days.

Good luck and do let us know the outcome.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Jurph
    Thanks @poppy123456

Mum isn't my appointee. I meant that I think I should leave her outside the room. I might be more open.

I wish I could stop my stomach doing cartwheels.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Jurph, best of luck for Wednesday. Please let us know how you get on. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Jurph
  • Cazann
    Jurph said:
    Thanks @Cazann

Did your daughter go in with you? 

My mum is coming with me. I was going to take her in with me as she can back up a few points. However, I'm starting to think she shouldn't as I think I'm more open about how I struggle. I tend to put on a brave face in front of her.
    Hi @Jurph. Yes my daughter came with me and she sat next to me in front of the panel. She also went through all my papers before we went in, to make sure that I hadn't missed anything and that they were all in order.
    My daughter didn't speak until the oanel asked her if she wished to comment. The panel didn't ask any trick questions and were very nice. Please take your mum in with you
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Great news @Jurph! Thank you for letting us know!
    Scope

• Jurph
    Thanks @Chloe_Scope

I'm still in shock! I didn't score any points at the assessment
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Just goes to show how wrong the assessments sometimes get it, very happy for you!
    Scope

• Cazann
    Jurph said:
    I won!

Standard Daily Living and Enhanced Mobility!
    Fantastic news, @Jurph. I had mine 2 weeks ago and I've just got my back pay through today, so that is very quick. I thought it would take weeks. Well done!
  • Jurph
    Wow @Cazann! That's very fast!
  • Jurph
    I had a phone call today from the DWP telling me when my back pay will be in.

So relieved it's over. For a couple of years anyway!
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    That's brilliant, I'm glad they've sorted out the back pay already for you @Jurph. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.