New Style ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New Style ESA

Nader
Nader Community member Posts: 59 Courageous
Hi

I would be grateful for some advice. 

I am intending to claim New Style ESA from the beginning of next year. I have worked and paid NIC for 24 full months up to the end of March this year, 2019, at which point I stopped working. 

I had been under the impression that I would be eligible for New Style ESA because I have two full years of contributions prior to the claim year. But I have just realised that the Tax year runs to the 5th of April.

Does this mean that I am not eligible to claim contributions based ESA  from January 2020, even though I have two full years of contributions?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,836 Scope online community team
    Hi @Nader. If I remember correctly, you’re currently claiming Universal Credit? 
    If you’re awarded New Style ESA this would be deducted £ for £ out of your UC.

Have you made any progress with your WCA on UC yet? I believe you were waiting for a UC50 form?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Nader
     Hi Adrian
    Thank you for remembering!

Yes, all of that is done. I’m just waiting for the appointment date now.

The reason I’m asking about the ESA is because I was advised that it has the advantage that it pays class 1 contributions. That was all really.
    But still the question that has come in my mind is what I have asked in this post, that because of the timing of my leaving work I may not be entitled anyway.
    That’s really all I wanted to confirm. 

Is this the case? Could you advise? 
  • Adrian_Scope
    edited August 2019
    You should be fine then @Nader. My understanding is that you need to have paid class 1 (or 2) contributions for 26 weeks in the 2 relevant tax years and earned above £5800 in each of the years. If you gave them a call they should be able to clarify for you. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • brilliantj
    brilliantj Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    Hi hello. I have a 19 year old who has just finished school. He is autistic and due to his rigid thinking he will not move to another provision or further training. My tax credits and child benefit is ceasing now and I was under the impression I could claim esa for him. However it would appear that no longer exists. Can anyone help please? Best regards x
  • Adrian_Scope
    edited August 2019
    Hi @brilliantj. Your son would need to claim Universal Credit for himself. The standard rate for this at his age is £251.77 a month. If he feels that he's unfit for work or has a limited capacity for work, he can hand in fit notes from his GP which after 28 days should trigger a Work Capability Assessment to determine whether he's eligible for LCWRA (Limited Capacity and Work Related Activities) as this replaces ESA for most people.

Hope that helps but if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • brilliantj
    brilliantj Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    Bless you.  I will have to apply because he is not capable. An assessment will be ok if I can get him there! Kind regards x
  • Nader
     Thank you very much Adrian, that has clarified things.

Yes, I will give them a call. Thanks again for your sound advice.

Have a great day! 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.