Backdated — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Backdated

rebeccabirch
rebeccabirch Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi,
I did a claim for carers allowance and today I got my first payment. However I haven’t had any backdated yet and I am entitled to it. I’ve called the CA office twice and not got through to anyone!! Can anyone tell me do you get the backdated money after your first payment?
Thankyou,
Rebecca :)

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @rebeccabirch I'm sure someone will be along soon to advice.

@Joanne_Scope can you help?

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,367 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Do you claim any other benefits like universal credit, ESA, JSA or Income Support?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • rebeccabirch
    I claim UC and we get ESA within our UC claim.
  • poppy123456
    The carers allowance will be deducted £1 for £1 from your UC monthly entitlement. If you've been claiming the UC for the length of time that your Carers Allowance is expected to be backdated to then you won't be entitled to any backdated money. This is because you will have already received payment for Carers Allowance with your UC and you can't be paid twice.

If Carers Allowance do pay you any backdated money this will be an error and you'll need to contact UC to tell them about this payment. You'll then have an overpayment of your UC amount and it will need to be repaid back.

For your UC do you receive the LCWRA element? If so then does the person who's receiving this payment receive the carers allowance?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • rebeccabirch
    Well my mum was in the same position and got a backdate and called UC and they said she was entitled to that. So I don’t get how she can get that and I can’t and on the CA website it doesn’t say that?
  • poppy123456
    If your mum claims UC as well as Carers Allowance then it's deducted £1 for £1 in the same way it's deducted £1 for £1 from ESA,JSA and Income Support. Any backdated money received from Carers Allowance will be an overpayment.

If the person that's claiming the carers allowance doesn't receive LCWRA element in with their UC payments then they will be able to claim the Carers element of £160 per month.

• Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Hi @rebeccabirch.

@Poppy123456 is completely right.

Carers Allowance is deducted £1 for £1 so it will reduce your UC by £66.15 per week. Prior to that, you will have been paid that amount in your UC and you can't be paid twice.

The best number to contact Carers Allowance on if you want to double-check this 0800 7310297 and they are open Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm. It can take a long time to get through!

Joanne 
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.