Pip appeal - evidence — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip appeal - evidence

Bonniemum
Bonniemum Community member Posts: 2 Connected
edited August 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi All,

This is my first post but I have been reading for a while and it’s been good to hear from others with similar experiences.

I have my PIP appeal in a few weeks time and I am still gathering evidence. My GP etc have advised they do not provide supporting letters for PIP at all and therefore I am left trying to gather my own evidence.

i have requested medical records which I now have, and people who know me are preparing statements. However I was wondering if the appeals committee would consider medical journals?

I have a pretty obvious and outward physical disability which comes with a lot of other conditions particularly spinal conditions and joint conditions. But this was completely brushed off at assessment as having little impact on my mobility. I am trying to offer medical journals that state that my symptoms that I describe are not fabricated and are in fact linked to the conditions I have been diagnosed with 

Comments

• cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @Bonniemum - they won't consider medicals journals - they're not about how your condition affects you...
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    sorry your having to go through all this, but it seems PIP is only interested in how things affect you, any equipment you need and if anyone helps you do everyday things.
    Good luck with your appeal xx
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Bonniemum

Unfortunately GP’s are not under any obligation to provide supporting letters for PIP and the frequently don’t.

It might be worth trying to get an appointment with a local Welfare Rights organisation such as Citizens Advice. Sometimes GP’s respond better to letters from organisations such as this.

I don’t think there is any harm quoting from medical journals but as @cristobal says, any information needs to be very clearly linked to how you are affected by your symptoms on a daily basis.

They are not interested in the medical info on its own.

At the appeal a doctor will go through yourr health conditions and ask questions so having the knowledge from medical journals will be useful, providing it relates properly to what is written on the form.

Someone with caring experience will then go through a typical day, so again it is important to relate everything directly to the activities they ask about.

Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.