Esa — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa

Muppets69
Muppets69 Community member Posts: 71 Connected
Hi I'm new I'm currently receiving enhanced pip I claim ESA but my daughter has left collage I was getting sdp wat will happen now thanks 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

If she's not returning to full time non advanced education in September you'll need to report the changes to ESA once your tax credits and child benefit end, if they haven't already. This is because you're no longer entitled to the SDP because your daughter is classed as a non dependent, unless she's also claiming a qualifying benefit such as PIP daily living or DLA mid high rate care.

You will also need to report the changes to your local council because you'll lose your 25% single person discount with your council tax.

If you claim housing benefit then this don't be affected because you claim daily living PIP. Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Muppets69
    Thank you for your reply I just hope I dont have to claim universal credit as it's a change thank you so for reply x
  • Muppets69
    I'm single and get ESA due to lose sdp due to daughter finishing collage is the other premiums I can get I get enhanced on both any help would be great 
  • poppy123456
    It's not classed as a change of circumstances that will prompt a move to UC.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @muppets69 and welcome to the community. 
    I see Poppy has already answered your questions so just wanted to say a quick hello! :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Muppets69
    Thank you both and hello 
    My daughter will be looking for work until then will I have to pay rent for her I'm really not sure wat happens x
  • poppy123456
    Muppets69 said:
    Thank you both and hello 
    My daughter will be looking for work until then will I have to pay rent for her I'm really not sure wat happens x
    You will continue to receive the same amount of housing benefit. As you're claiming the daily living for PIP then you won't receive any non dependent deductions.
  • Muppets69
    Do I need to inform ESA or will it automatically stop x
  • poppy123456
    Yes, you will need to inform them once your child benefit and tax credits stop. If you don't then you'll have an over payment. You'll also need to ring your local council regarding you council tax reduction because you'll also lose the 25% single person discount.
  • Muppets69
    Hi sorry to be a pain I get enhanced on both I got a 3 bedroom house do I pay bedroom tax x
  • poppy123456
    Bedroom tax only applies to those living in social housing/housing association. If you live in privately rented property then it doesn't apply.

Your daughter ending full time education won't affect your housing benefit because you're claiming daily living PIP. This means that the non dependent deductions won't apply to you and you'll continue to receive the same amount of housing benefit.
  • Muppets69
    Aw right I still have to pay for bedroom tax thank you so much for your help 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.