DWP Law unto itself, and the in action of SCOPE. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DWP Law unto itself, and the in action of SCOPE.

Threesticks
Threesticks Community member Posts: 128 Pioneering
They won't take on the very people (DWP), who discriminate, the most against disabled people. 125 thousand claimants have committed suicide and counting. From the direct actions of this Government and their lapdogs DWP. Scope wouldn't want to upset that £95 million profit line, or is that me just being inflammatory again ?   Mods in 3 2 1 ;)
If you fight, you won't always win. But if you don't fight you will always always lose.

Comments

• Threesticks
    I know, it's a thorny subject. But TRUTH normally is.
    If you fight, you won't always win. But if you don't fight you will always always lose.
  • Threesticks
    I don't see the relevance of your request. This is a post of the inaction of Scope. Scope, allege. 
    • provide practical information and emotional support when it's most needed
    • campaign relentlessly to create a fairer society.
    I know why you asked though, there is no official figures. This Government and DWP have refused to give any. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsPNG1frfbg. This was in July 2019 referring as far back as 2013

Quote " at best incompetence, at worse a cover up" unquote.

But my question is why hasn't Scope asked the same questions and took on the DWP ?
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2019
    @Threesticks@ilovecats can speak for him/herself obviously but I imagine he/she was surprised at the statistic that you quote? Does this help?

According to the Samaritans website there are approximately 6 000 suicides per year in the UK (2107 figures)

If the rate has remained stable then there have been 125 000 suicides in the last 21 years.

I cannot see data suggesting that any these have been caused by the DWP.

The figure you quote - 125 000 - would only be correct if every suicide since 1998 were 'caused' by DWP.

Since you seem to refer to the period 2013-2019 your figure cannot be correct - as there weren't 125 000 suicides in total from all causes - in fact there were roughly 1/3 of that figure...

Hope this helps ...

I fully agree with comment - 'I know, it's a thorny subject. But TRUTH normally is.'
  • Threesticks
    Again, this isn't the OP, and we seem to be getting off topic. Thank you for the info, there are no official figures.

But my question is why hasn't Scope asked the same questions and took on the DWP ?
  • cristobal
    edited August 2019
    Threesticks said:They won't take on the very people (DWP), who discriminate, the most against disabled people. 125 thousand claimants have committed suicide and counting. From the direct actions of this Government and their lapdogs DWP. Scope wouldn't want to upset that £95 million profit line, or is that me just being inflammatory again ?   Mods in 3 2 1 ;) 
    @threesticks - I'm struggling to see how this is off topic since you started the original topic and quoted the figures?

Personally I think it's very much on topic as the figure you quote is completely wrong as far as I can see...

I don't know if this might help - the link to the video you posted is about claimant's deaths, not claimants suicides, which is obviously a completely different thing?

• Threesticks
    edited August 2019
    You can't prove those figures are wrong and I can't prove they are right. I quoted estimates by some politicians. Again and again, you try to disrupt this post and that's why it's off topic.

My post is a question about Scope, nothing to do with these figures. Stop sidestepping the real main question. Or, is that what you're here for, to stop the real hard question from being asked ?
  • cristobal
    @Threesticks - the reason that your post drew my attention in the first place is that 125 000 is such a massive figure that I immediately realised that it was wrong - it's every suicide for the past twenty years.

Do you remember which politicians gave these figures? - I will write to them and ask that they issue a correction...

I'm still not sure what you expecting Scope to do? 

• Threesticks
    I'm done debating those figures, no one can prove either way. I am looking for a Senior member of Scope to inform us, it's members, why have no campaigns target the DWP. If I'm wrong, show me the links and campaigns started and any outcomes.

My point is this, Scope profess, 
    • provide practical information and emotional support when it's most needed
    • campaign relentlessly to create a fairer society.
    If the above is accurate, why are so many disabled people not represented by Scope to the DWP. Time to really earn that massive profit.  Or is it just lip service to attract members. I don't know about you, I've had it with all the lies we're told by politicians and their minions and, unless you have evidence to the contrary, Scope.
  • Threesticks
    debsidoo said:
    I don’t mean to sound rude @Threesticks
    Scope are here to help people from all walks of life with a disability issue, not all of it work related. They aren’t really here to get into politics.The way they campaign is by educating people about what help is out there and by providing a listening ear and a platform for people to connect with others for advice.
    They are not a militant lobbying group but they have been an invaluable source of information and help for some.
           Debsidoo.x
    I want you to be rude, I want you to get angry at me. For god’s sake the apathy on here is unbelievable and the silence is deafening. Where's your passion gone. We're being royally screwed, because we're disabled.  It's not me who's say this,

campaign relentlessly to create a fairer society.

Look at whom the Directors of Scope are, and who they've worked for in the past. Then do some research on those companies. You'll see where I'm coming from. My point, making profit out of the poor and in pain i.e. disabled folks.

This discussion has been closed.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.