ESA and Student Maintenance loan — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA and Student Maintenance loan

laurenai
laurenai Community member Posts: 15 Connected
Hi, 
I've just found out that I have a place at University and I am entitled to the highest rate of maintenance loan which is essential for me to be able to afford rent as I will be moving out of my family home and into a flat close to university with my partner. However, my partner and I both struggle severely with mental health issues, and my partner is in receipt of ESA currently. We are both now worried that upon receiving the loan that my partners ESA will be stopped. Please could anyone on here give any insight on what will happen? Any advice is appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Do you claim any benefits yourself, if so what benefits to you claim?

Does your partner claim Contributions based ESA or Income Related?

When you move in with your partner then you will need to contact DWP to report the changes to them because you will be classed as a couple for all means tested benefits.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • laurenai
    Hi, 

Thanks for the reply! We both claim PIP currently, and my partner claims income related ESA. 

We already live together in my family home and ESA are aware of this. 

Thank you again. 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. I'm assuming you're claiming ESA as a couple? Of course your PIP won't be affected by the student loan.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • laurenai
    Yes, I believe I'm on his ESA claim. :) 
  • poppy123456
    I'd advise you to give the disabled students helpline a ring and they will advise you correctly regarding the ESA and student loan because it's very complicated. https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-help/helplines/disabled-students-helpline

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.