Right Side Hemiplegia PIP — Scope | Disability forum

Right Side Hemiplegia PIP

LauraH2407 Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, I am 28 years old with right side hemiplegia which limits the use of my right hand and foot. I have recently been sent the PIP form and have an face to face appointment booked in for the coming week. I was awarded DLA lower rate care indefinitely when I was 17. My mother takes care of all my needs at home. I.e cooking, showering, putting on certain clothes etc. I also have an adapted car. Do I have a good chance of transitioning over to standard rate care. I’m so anxious and worried about this assessment I can’t sleep. Any one with advice would be appreciated. Anyone receiving PIP with right side hemiplegia?


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,567 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome.

    PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. You can't compare when it comes to PIP because we are all affected differently by these conditions.

    No one can tell you whether you'll successfully be awarded. Once you've had the assessment, wait a week and ring DWP to request a copy of the report to be sent to you. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report. Good luck.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,555 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @LauraH2407 and a warm welcome to the community! I have left hemi and I claim PIP.

    Please be sure to read the PIP descriptors carefully, as this is what you will be assessed on. Let us know how you get on and I'll have my fingers crossed!


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.