PIP ASSESSMENT REPORT NOT WHAT EXPECTED! CONTACT DECISION MAKER? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP ASSESSMENT REPORT NOT WHAT EXPECTED! CONTACT DECISION MAKER?

Charl92
Charl92 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi all, I was looking for a bit of advice please. I received my assessment report yesterday and can't quite work it all out.... 
Firstly a bit about me. I'm a 27 year old single mother. I have suffered with Agoraphobia, OCD, Severe Anxiety, PTSD, Insomnia & Depression for around 5/6 years. Although I have always been anxious ever since I was a child.  Gradually building up from that to now,where I never leave the house. I have to be prompted to bath/complete personal hygiene, change my clothes, eat, take my medication. As I just forget as I'm too fixated with cleaning and checking rituals. My poor children should have started nursery in April and July and they are still yet to go. The only time I leave the house is to GP appointments every 3 weeks in a taxi, straight through to the corridor outside the doctors room (as I cant sit in waiting area) The receptionist has to come and tell me personally it's my turn. Then straight back out, into the waiting taxi and back home. I have my prescriptions delivered, shopping delivered. I can't be trusted cooking because I get so fixated on what I am doing I forget it's on which is really dangerous. Family members have to bring meals.  I have completed CBT with no change. It seems this has gone against me as I told the assessor I am on a waiting list for High Intensity CBT.   The assessor ticked box 'e' on planning and following journeys (10 points?)
The report says on page 21. The functional restriction affecting  the mobility activities is likely to remain for 'At least 9 Months'. 
And then...it would be appropriate to review the claim in 9 months.
The justification for this is due to the recent interventions that have taken place, recent medication increase, and planned high intensity counselling. This is a sufficient time frame for a positive change in her primary condition that has the potential to have a positive effect on her functional ability. 
It is likely that the functional restriction identified in this report will be present at recommended point of review? Ticked YES
And the same for daily living.
What does this mean? I haven't got it but review in 9 months? YES

In the daily living part the only box ticked that equals any points is box 'b' on question 9 'Engaging with others face to face' which I see as 2 points. This is not enough is it?

In almost every question there is a long passage on how things affect me. Examples - question 9 Engaging with others face to face - IO show all the curtains were closed and it was a very bright, hot, sunny day. 
She showed no anxiety, was calm and relaxed, did not get up and move items around, clean things, did not fidget in her seat or have any issues touching the DA's fingers for the MSK.  

WHAT SHE DOES NOT MENTION IS THAT I HAD TO BE SITTING PERFECTLY IN THE MIDDLE OF MY SEAT. OR LINE THE HEALTH CARE EVIDENCE PAPERS UP ON MY SOFA TO MATCH THE STRIPES PATTERN ON THE SEAT AS SHE WAS GIVING THEM BACK. NOR DID SHE MENTION AS SHE CAME IN THE FRONT DOOR, I LOCKED IT BEHIND HER (after asking if it was ok as I didn't want her to think I had had intentions ) AND AGAIN SHUT ALL CURTAINS ACROSS. 

I know this is extremely long but i am so confused on what the decision will be. Does it look like good or bad? I'm not sure how to interpret the information if you get what I mean. If they have ticked a box with 0 points but then go on to add a justification report that says the complete opposite, which way does the Decision Maker go?

Would it be a good idea to get my support network to write letters of support? And to get a more in depth report from my doctor and/or psychological wellbeing practitioner? Before the decision maker comes to a final decision? Where would I send the info? 
I hope someone can help me
Thank you
Charlotte 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

10 points for mobility suggests standard award. 2 points for daily living isn't enough for an award because you need to score at least 8 points. Recommendation also suggest a short award length because the CBT can improve your conditions, although they do expect them to still be there to some extent. What they are saying is that the CBT may improve your conditions enough for you to not be entitled to an award of the mobility component. This is what i think, others may disagree.

Lining up all your papers of evidence on the seat doesn't mean anything in relation to any of the descriptors for the mobility part.

You can certainly ring DWP and ask for a call back from a case manager/decision maker if a decision hasn't already been made. Once they ring you back you can tell them your thoughts and what you think is incorrect, it may not help because they usually go with the report, it's rare to go against it.

If the decision does go with the report and you think it's wrong then you'll have 1 month from that date to request the MR. You should put this in writing stating where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Avoid mentioning any lies or contradictions in the report because DWP and Tribunal won't be interested  in any of those. Any complaints about the report should be sent to the health assessment providers. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, you can't contact the decision maker.  What you can do now is prepare for a Mandatory Reconsideration.  When the decision letter arrives you have 4 weeks to send your MR but must wait for the decision letter first, in case they go against the report.  You can send any further evidence (from Doctors and psychologists etc) along with your MR letter.

If the decision follows the assessment report (most do), you will currently get no award for daily living (need at least 8 points) but will get standard rate for mobility.  The 9 months review will be because of your imminent treatment, it is likely that your conditions could change because of that.  You can't win though as I was marked down for not having any treatment planned (already had CBT that didn't work).
  • Charl92
    Charl92 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi,

10 points for mobility suggests standard award. 2 points for daily living isn't enough for an award because you need to score at least 8 points. Recommendation also suggest a short award length because the CBT can improve your conditions, although they do expect them to still be there to some extent. What they are saying is that the CBT may improve your conditions enough for you to not be entitled to an award of the mobility component. This is what i think, others may disagree.

Lining up all your papers of evidence on the seat doesn't mean anything in relation to any of the descriptors for the mobility part.

You can certainly ring DWP and ask for a call back from a case manager/decision maker if a decision hasn't already been made. Once they ring you back you can tell them your thoughts and what you think is incorrect, it may not help because they usually go with the report, it's rare to go against it.

If the decision does go with the report and you think it's wrong then you'll have 1 month from that date to request the MR. You should put this in writing stating where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Avoid mentioning any lies or contradictions in the report because DWP and Tribunal won't be interested  in any of those. Any complaints about the report should be sent to the health assessment providers. Good luck.
    Thanks for your reply. When I quoted about lining papers up, that was in response to where she reported that I didn't have any urges to move things around etc. 
    I am going to ring them Monday to get a call back. It's making me so anxious, I'm not eating or sleeping. I'm a walking zombie. I will write it all down ready so I don't forget anything. And start writing my mandatory reconsideration ready for when I get the decision letter. Thanks again
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, you can't contact the decision maker.
    That's not correct, sorry. You can contact the decision maker/case manager before the decision is made, lots of people have done this, including myself when i was waiting for a decision to be made on my daughters claim. They will listen to what you have to say but it doesn't mean they will go against the report though because mostly they don't.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Nattie3
    Nattie3 Community member Posts: 32 Courageous
    Hey, don't give up hope!!! I was given my report back after my MR and evidence I supplied wasn't even read by the assessor. I have spoken to a case manager and also the decision maker who made both my original and MR decision. It can be possible to speak to them even after a decision has been made as generally they are fairly helpful and will take the time to listen to you. 
    I had lost hope after my MR but they proved me wrong! 

Every case and experience is individual so anything is worth a try, I wish you the best of luck!
  • worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    did you get 9 months with review or without review?

If its with review then at least it will carry on whilst you been reviewed.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes you can phone or email the decision maker. Do you have a social worker or not? If so ask her to prepare a MR letter. If not you can use this tool to draft a letter yourself- https://www.advicenow.org.uk/pip-tool/thank-you (refresh the page). 
    Upon receiving my son’s first ever assessment report, I asked his social worker for advice. She helped me successfully contest the decision. Best of luck. His report made me gag.
    Certainly telephone them and politely request a MR too. Any complaints regarding the assessment report must be made to the health provider not DWP. Keep us updated. It is worth a try.
    What is the worst that could happen? 
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    ilovecats said:
    Just because the assessor recommends 9 months doesn’t mean the case manager will agree. Rather than panic I’d wait to see how long you are actually awarded for. 
    Yes after my f2f the assessor recommended 2 years but when the award arrived it was for 3. Very relieved!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.