DWP have rejected my tribunal appeal!!! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DWP have rejected my tribunal appeal!!!

be6789
be6789 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited February 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I sent of an appeal for the tribunals and I have got the massive log to find DWP have asked the tribunal to reject the appeal. Can the tribunal make a different decision??? 

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @be6789 and welcome to the community.

In any appeal both sides will present their case. Appeal courts are independent and will decide for themselves. As long as your appeal focusses on why you disagree with the DWP decision based on the criteria it is unlikley that it will be automatically rejected.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    The DWP automatically object to appeals.  Tribunals are impartial, they will set a hearing date and you will attend to be questioned by the panel.  The DWP might send a rep but I think they do so only in a minority of cases.

The DWP objected to my appeal, I attended a hearing, there was no DWP rep, and I won my appeal.  65% of appeals succeed.

Good luck with your appeal.

Disability Rights UK site sell a Handbook which has an informative section on appeal hearings.  Price £15.
  • be6789
    So they don’t have to listen to DWP? I’m really worried as I have autism and I relied on that money! Why do they do this? I had to loose my notability car as well so I had to go out and buy one which I now am cutting it short.  Without a car my independence is GONE, we explained this to the Assesor she completely lied on some of the assement. 

When k first got the claim I got 29 Points& in my reassement I only got 1 

they think bevsuse i can now drive and have a job im capable of doing thing s baring in mind it took 8 times to pass my driving test! 

• be6789
    Geoark said:
    Hello @be6789 and welcome to the community.

In any appeal both sides will present their case. Appeal courts are independent and will decide for themselves. As long as your appeal focusses on why you disagree with the DWP decision based on the criteria it is unlikley that it will be automatically rejected.
    Hello & thanks for welcoming me. 

I have a lofe long condition which they don’t understand - to this day they aren’t trained professionals!! all they do is lie on the reports. 

I gave rave reasons why I want to appeal and in the massive log they sent me the person who looked at it said ‘I agree with all the descriptors that she is appealing agaisnt’ 

Will the courts look at this and take it in consideration? There is eveidence we sent in when I first claimed in 2014 letters from 2003 stating what my condition is. 
  • be6789
    Even though the DWP have asked them to reject? If so, how long does it take for the tribunal to give me a date? 20 weeks? 26?

I have my carers as my representative who knows fully about my condition 

• lainie1966
    lainie1966 Community member Posts: 10 Connected
    As i tell everyone. If you think tbe assessment and decision made are wrong COMPLAIN. However unfortunately its YOU that has to PROVE its wrong. Complain to Atos, Capita or Maximus directly about the assessor. When you go for an assessment you CAN take someone in with you. Complain to the DWP  re the decision and ask what medical qualifications the devision maker has and how they can justify a decision re a condition they know damn all about living with it day to day. Send all your letters 2nd class recorded and youkeep copies of everything. 
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    @be6789 sorry for the delay in replying but work is busy at the moment.

I have a daughter with autism and so understand confusion and frustration. 

Yes the appeal court will look at the decision and what the dwp has to say, but they will also look at the medical evidence, paper evidence and your evidence on the day. They will then make their own mind up.

The general percentage for success at appeal is 65%, but this is an average including those who appear at the appeal and those who opt for a paper decision and do not attend. The success rate tends to be a lot higher those who attend.

As has been explained though this is not going to happen quickly and at the moment I am far more concerned about your mental health. I would tell you not to worry about this, but know the chances are you will.

Please know that as a community we are here for you and will support you as best we can. We have a number of members with ASD who will fully understand how you are feeling. We also have a number of advisors who may be able to help you.

This sounds a little vague, but things I would ask you to talk to your doctor or with  us if you are not sure, these include

It starts affecting your sleep: sleep is essential for a number of reasons, lack of sleep can make it more difficult to cope in general and can focus your mind on the wrong things.

Loss of appetite: this can  be caused by a number of reasons, stress, anxiety and depression but can also increase the symptoms to these conditions. If it lasts long enough it can have a number of effects on your body, coping functions and even brain chemistry. It is important you keep eating a healthy diet even if you don't feel like it.

Dark thoughts: these include feelings of suicide or hurting yourself, becoming focussed on feeling worthless and obviously what will happen if you don't win your appeal while it would have a huge affect on your life it would not be the end and we can help you with what to do next.

Anything that you are not sure about or would just like to talk about. This could be anything from things that you are interested in, would like to know more about or just something that nice that has happened.

If you would like to include someone in a discussion or get a response from just add @ in front of their name and they will get a notice that you have included them. Unfortunately at the moment it is the best way to get my attention.

Take care of yourself.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    DWP always say they object to tribunal appeals but they cannot stop tribunal hearings.  You haven't had the hearing yet so you have time to prepare.  Tribunals should take make allowances for your autism and what you have said in your submission form. Try to get some f2f advice from CAB or similar or local authority welfare rights.  Also, read Disability Rights UK site about PIP appeals.
  • Shaunndnat
    Shaunndnat Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    I don't no how you have been rejected for pip 9 out of ten times if u do a mandatory reconsideration letter from either a doctor or member of your family who look after u it's accepted they are rejecting like 90 percent on first application but accepting mandatory reconsideration letters
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't no how you have been rejected for pip 9 out of ten times if u do a mandatory reconsideration letter from either a doctor or member of your family who look after u it's accepted they are rejecting like 90 percent on first application but accepting mandatory reconsideration letters

HI and welcome,

This is an old thread from Feb 2018 that you've commented on and hopefully be6789 has had their hearing and been successfully awarded.

Although It's perfectly normal for DWP to appose an appeal because naturally they don't think you're entitled to that benefit.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Shaunndnat
    Shaunndnat Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    That's great mine was awarded without an interview as my cpn sent a NHS headed letter along with my application form 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.