Please help me navigate this minefield! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Please help me navigate this minefield!

brilliantj
brilliantj Community member Posts: 30 Connected
Hello everyone.  I am looking after my autistic son who will be 20 in January 2020. I work 18 hours a week in a school.  He finished his special school in July and there is no plan for anything else, as he cannot work, or go onto an apprenticeship. Until now, I have received Family and Working Tax Credits and he has received the higher rate of PIP.  However I am aware that FWTC will stop now, because he's not in education any longer.  I have two questions:
 1.  What do we need to apply for now for my son?
2.  We have been receiving free healthcare/prescriptions until now, but the NHS are now saying that we have to pay because my son is not in full       time education and he is 19. Is there anyway we can still claim free prescriptions as our income would not support prescription charges as well. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

As your son has now ended full time non advanced education then yes all your benefits you were receiving for him have ended, including child benefit, or it will end in the next couple of weeks.

The only benefit he will now be able to claim in his own right is Universal Credit because all areas are now a full UC area and new claims for old legacy benefits are no longer possible.

You can make a claim for this online here https://www.gov.uk/apply-universal-credit If he has a limited capability for work(LCW) then he will need to get sick/fit notes from his GP to say why he's unable to work and he should get this as soon as possible. He will need to keep sending in the fit notes until a decision's been made on his claim for LCW.

UC for under 25's pays £251.77 per month and first payment will be 5 weeks after he claims. He will eventually be referred for a work capability assessment assessment and they will send him work capability assessment forms (UC50) which will need to be filled in and returned with all his evidence. He will then most likely have to attend a work capability assessment and answer questions about his conditions and they will assess his ability to do any type of work. Once DWP receive the assessment report a decision will be made on his claim and the decision could either be fit for work, limited capability for work(LCW) or limited capability for work related activity (LCWRA) if he its LCWRA then he will receive an extra £336 per month from the 4th month of his claim from when he sent in his first fit note.

Once he claims UC then he'll be entitled to free NHS treatment providing is doesn't receive any earned income during his assessment period. https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/help-with-health-costs/help-with-health-costs-for-people-getting-universal-credit/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • brilliantj
    Thank you very much for such a comprehensive answer. I will start work on it straight away. 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. If you need further advice, please just ask. :)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • brilliantj
    Hello.  I have been in touch with Family Tax Credits as my son has now finished education.  They say I have to now work 30 hours per week to qualify for working tax credit (as a single parent) because they do not class my 19 year old disabled son as a dependent.  I've now applied for Universal Credit online and they have asked me to attend an interview.  Do I need to do this as I am working 18 hours a week, but caring for my son for the rest of the time.  I did mention that I have a slight disability but that does not exclude me from working (with adaptations).  Have they asked to see me because I only work 18 hours a week?
    I would be grateful for any assistance.  Thank you
  • poppy123456
    That's correct for tax credits purposes because your son is no long classed as a dependent child.

The interview you're attending is to confirm your identity and you must attend this appointment otherwise you won't receive your benefits. Universal Credit is paid monthly and first payment will be in 5 weeks time.

If your son is claiming daily living PIP then you can claim the carers element of UC in with your monthly payment which pays an extra £160 per month, You'll need to tell your work coach or put in a change of circumstances on your journal and ask for the element to be added. Once this is done you'll be placed into the no work requirements group so you won't be expected to work any hours or any more hours than you're already working.

Have you also started a UC claim for your son?
  • brilliantj
    Hi. Apparently according to FTC I could have continued to claim working tax credit because I receive standard rate pip and have done for 18 months for a back injury.  I wasn’t aware that they didn’t know and because I was honest and told them the minute my son left education, and they weren’t aware I claimed pip, apparently the FTC has been closed and so I need to claim  Uc. Ive just come into a small inheritance which takes me just over the limit, so I won’t be able to claim uc now. My wages won’t cover the bills and so I’m looking into selling my house so we’ve got something to live off. I have started the process for my son but he won’t be able to attend any interviews because he’ll thump people or scream, so I guess they will have to come here. I’ve applied on his behalf but because he’s over 18 I have no legal right to his money. He’s very black and white and won’t understand that he needs to hand some of it over.  I’ve looked at carers allowance but I earn a small fraction over their limit, so that’s not a possibility. Thank you for all your help. 
  • poppy123456
    FTC? i'm assuming you mean WTC (working tax credit) as you receive PIP yourself then you should have been claiming extra tax credits known as the disabled element.

The maximum amount of savings for UC is £16,000 and you say small amount, if it's less than this you maybe entitled to claim some but with a deduction.

If your son is violent do be aware that no home visits will be made because of this but i think it maybe possible for them to verify his identity through phone call appointment but you'll need to make enquiries regarding this when he starts his claim.

Don't forget he will need a sick note from his GP to claim limited capability for work under UC.

It may also be a good idea to get some face to face advice, help and support when he claims UC.
  • brilliantj
    Thank you so much for all your help x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.