Presciption exemption for a 19 year old still in Education — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Presciption exemption for a 19 year old still in Education

Options
Char63
Char63 Community member Posts: 7 Listener

My daughter has just started her last year in education 19/8/19; she will be 19 in October. I am on income based ESA, and also I receive child tax credits for her as she will be in education till July 2020.

I am confused as to her free prescription status as to when she turns 19, I spoke to H.M Tax Office over the phone and they said that she is named on my ESA income related claim, so is there anything else I need to do. Do I need any form of evidence to show chemists, dentists etc

Thank you all for reading and replying in advance

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

HMRC's advice is not correct. Your daughter isn't named on your ESA claim, this is your benefit, in your name only.

As your daughter is still in non advanced education and you still receive tax credits for her, until her 20th birthday then she'll be entitled to claim free prescriptions. Once she reaches her 20th birthday, even if this is before her education ends then your benefits for her will stop and so will her free prescriptions. This applies if you live in England.

If you live in Wales or Scotland then she will receive free prescriptions even when your tax credits ends. See link.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Char63
    Char63 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
    Thank you so much Poppy, I may have got it muddled as to ESA or CTC with HMRC advice, its been one of those days, but thanks for the link I am assuming I need to get proof of the tax exemption cert, why is everything so complicated these days 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Char63,

Just for future reference, anyone is able to buy a prescription prepayment certificate which can save a lot of money if your daughter needs more than one prescription a month.
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.