I got the report about pip. Bad news! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I got the report about pip. Bad news!

missy12345
missy12345 Community member Posts: 28 Connected
Ok Iv posted on here before. This morning I got the report and Iv scored a big fat 0!!! They ticked every box that I can do things unaided which is complete lies. Have the things they said didn’t actually get said by me or my mum. I’m gutted and so upset been crying ever since. I can hardly feed myself these days due to my money being cut. 

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,612 Disability Gamechanger
    That's disappointing but not surprising. :( 

Once the decision letter comes through you can make a Mandatory Reconsideration (lots of advice about that on here!) but as the majority of MR's don't change the outcome you will most likely have to go to tribunal eventually.  
  • missy12345
    Thanks for the reply much appreciated. 
    I don’t even think I’m gonna bother doing a MR as I just one for my daughter who has epilepsy and severe asthma she her dla mr got refused so Iv given up big time. 
  • Gwendoline1
    Gwendoline1 Community member Posts: 215 Pioneering
    Hiya missy12345,
    So so sorry to read about your pip report.
    I have very limited knowledge regarding pip, only my own which isn’t much.
    The only advice I can offer is that many times I’ve read poppy12345 say to people you must do the mr to be able to then go to tribunal if there is no change at the mr stage.
    Please don’t give up, it’s so easy to say fight for what you deserve. 
    But life can be a little easier when you don’t have quite  as much to worry about. 
     I use citizen advice to help me fill out forms and they’ve been fantastic.
    Take care of yourself and at the end you must do what is right for you. Good luck and I hope everything turns out okay.???
  • missy12345
    Hiya missy12345,
    So so sorry to read about your pip report.
    I have very limited knowledge regarding pip, only my own which isn’t much.
    The only advice I can offer is that many times I’ve read poppy12345 say to people you must do the mr to be able to then go to tribunal if there is no change at the mr stage.
    Please don’t give up, it’s so easy to say fight for what you deserve. 
    But life can be a little easier when you don’t have quite  as much to worry about. 
     I use citizen advice to help me fill out forms and they’ve been fantastic.
    Take care of yourself and at the end you must do what is right for you. Good luck and I hope everything turns out okay.???
    Thank you! At the interview I hardly spoke to the woman and the thing she has written on the report aren’t true, it’s really upset me because the help from pip I could have benefited from also my gp wasn’t much help either. Iv completely given up now! The government just don’t seem to care less about the people who actually are entitled to these benefits. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,914 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

I'm sorry to hear that. For the MR there's only an 18% chance of the decision changing at this stage so most people end up taking it to Tribunal and appearing in person will give you the best chance of a decision in your favour.

If you do change your mind and request the MR then i'd advise you to put this in writing stating where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

I note from your previous thread that you're claiming for anxiety and depression, it would be unusual for people to need to use an aid for any activity when suffering from this. Prompting or assistance would be more likely. It does help to have some understanding of the descriptors and what they mean. Maybe have a read of this and have another think of what to do. You have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the MR, 13 months with good reason.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • missy12345
    Thanks for the replies but I won’t be doing a MR because I honestly don’t have the energy for it anymore. I’m thinking I wished I never ever claimed for pip in the first place, I kinda had a feeling they wouldn’t believe me and that my gp wouldn’t back me up either. The gp told them he supply’s a 2months worth of medication to me, yes he does but what he forgot to mention is that the chemist only gives me 7tablets at a time. So they think I’m fine so I’m leaving it at that. Don’t need the stress. 
  • Gwendoline1
    Gwendoline1 Community member Posts: 215 Pioneering
    Hiya missy12345,
    You must do what you feel is right for you.
    Its the most stressful time I think I’ve ever been through when I claimed.
    I was extremely naive with the benefit system, I’d worked all my life before I became ill and was fortunate enough to have had never the need to claim.
    I am very lucky to have a person in the CAB to help me fill out the forms and she’s absolutely brilliant.
    Good luck for the future and most importantly take care of yourself. ???
  • worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    I 100% sympathise missy12345, the health service in itself is a lottery, if only you had a more supporting doctor this whole thing may have gone a completely different way for you.

I am surprised the MR success rate is 18%, I thought it was much lower the way poppy has always said there is little chance, a 1/5 chance isnt too bad.

Poppy's advice is key, you need to understand the descriptors, and once you do then your case becomes much stronger.

Have you asked for someone like a social worker to perhaps help you on this? as with anxiety going to a busy place like CAB might be too difficult.  I know when I went to CAB I almost lost it in terms of my mental state I was expecting a small room and a private one to one in a private room but instead was a huge room where the person I spoke to was behind a glass window, and everyone around us hearing each other.

Also if your GP doesnt support you I would consider swapping GPs.
  • missy12345
    Thanks for all the replies they are all much appreciated! 

Im not gonna bother appealing it because I honestly can’t deal with anymore stress in my life..

i guess having mental health issue’s is really hard to prove and in my case they clearly don’t believe me and have twisted everything but oh well I guess that’s life. 

Im gonna start looking for work and hopefully that will help. I will need to just ignore my mental health and move forward I suppose. 
  • worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    I think they are hard to prove, I think you can have anxiety whilst also been able to stay composed in a conversation, yet my assessor used the fact I explained myself well in my assessment to consider I had no anxiety of significance.  I put down to the fact he isnt mentally trained, his occupation listed on the report isnt at all mental related.
    I have also heard stories that if you have things like panic attacks with them there they think you might be play acting.

I wonder if anyone has done a FOI request to ask for the people who get anxiety descriptors when assessed without anyone else present.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
    Hi @missy12345. I'm sorry to read that you've decided you won't be appealing.
    Besides that, how are you doing at the moment? Are you getting much in the way of support with your mental health?
    We do have a range of free employment services that you might find useful if you're about to start looking for work.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,609 Disability Gamechanger
    Missy12345 don't get me wrong but wouldn't fighting for benefits that are rightfully yours be easier on your health than working feeling as you do? There is some excellent advice ^^^^ and perhaps you could get some help from CAB or welfare rights?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• firefly22
    firefly22 Community member Posts: 28 Connected
    I understand you, however, if you've not been granted an award, you have nothing to lose just asking for a MR and also, it'll only be a letter and then it's done, nothing more. It's worth the try, you could get it changed on that alone and it would be worth one letter.
  • missy12345
    Yeah I could do a mr but with what has been said in the actual report is lies, they have twisted everything and the fact my gp didn’t back me up either I don’t really see the point in doing an mr right now. My heads all over the place. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @missy12345, I can understand how overwhelming the process can be. Whatever you decide, we will be here to support you. Did you have chance to look at the employment services that my colleague recommended?

If there is anything else we can do to help the please do let us know! :)
    Scope

• missy12345
    Hi

yes Iv had a look but it says it’s only available to England and Wales and I live in Scotland so I won’t be able to do that unfortunately. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @missy12345, I'm sorry about that.

Here are some alternatives that I have found in Scotland:
    I hope these help. :)
    Scope

• firefly22
    firefly22 Community member Posts: 28 Connected
    Yeah I could do a mr but with what has been said in the actual report is lies, they have twisted everything and the fact my gp didn’t back me up either I don’t really see the point in doing an mr right now. My heads all over the place. 

It's always worth a try, especially from nothing.

When going onto DLA the first time I got awarded nothing, I asked for a MR with no new back up from medical profession and got my award changed.

I can understand not wanting any more stress, but there's nothing to lose on a MR.
  • missy12345
    I received a letter from pip this morning saying they have asked for a recent report from my gp to which they will see that my medication has been increased.. does this mean there’s still hope that I will get awarded? I mean I’m not getting my hopes up at all and will assume I’m not getting anything at all. Is this normal tho? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,914 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2019
    Sometimes it's possible for them to ask for evidence but it doesn't mean anything other than they've asked for the evidence. Hopefully you'll receive a decision soon.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.