FINALLY A HAPPY ENDING — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

FINALLY A HAPPY ENDING

cat6873
cat6873 Community member Posts: 64 Courageous
After winning my appeal back in January I've got the extra payment (LCWRA) put into place almost immediately but no communication regarding back payments. The Job Centre didn't honour my ESA so I calculated something around £5,000 that was owed to me since November 2016 but wasn't certain and, although I drafted a fiery letter, I never made contact with them about it and the letter was buried and forgotten.  
To my surprise the back payment arrived last month but their calculation is from February 2017 BUT I'm glad that I didn't send that letter because my calculation was wrong: they sent me £7,070 :) (with the majority of it gone back to my sister).

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Fantastic news @cat6873! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Congratulations @cat6873. You must be thrilled. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @cat6873, that's brilliant news, I'm very happy for you!
    It sounds like they've  applied the 3 months wait period to your claim which is why you've lost the 3 months as they still haven't honoured your ESA, (which they should have under regulation 19).
    Are you going to leave it or chase that too?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Great news, and thank you to your sister who helped  you financially during your fight. Follow up as Adrain of scope has suggested and have a bit of money as compensation.
  • Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Hi @cat6873,
    I am so pleased for you that the money has finally been paid!
    I also agree with @wilko and @Adrian_Scope.
    They have applied the 3 month wait period incorrectly if you were already in the Support Group of ESA, and the time it has taken to sort this out for you is unacceptable and you may be entitled to compensation. 
    It would be worth sending a follow-up letter.

Joanne 
    Scope
  • cat6873
    cat6873 Community member Posts: 64 Courageous
    Thank you all for your kind replies  :)@Adrian_Scope to cut a long story short my MP got involved because they closed my claim after I didn't pass the HRT (I worked 25 years in this country!), they didn't pay me any rent for 3 months and also the Council sent me there incorrectly because I moved within the same borough  :(  I got a letter from the DWP telling my MP that I will still receive my ESA, which I did for 1 year, and I used the letter at the Tribunal so they're not going to recover any money so I think that, financially, I haven't lost but gained. It's the way I was treated by the job centre that bothers me, the way they messed up my claim and yes @wilko my sister is an absolute angel  :) There must be thousands out there in this position. At the moment I think I will leave it at that because I have put all my energy in 2 appeals and won both so I'm very happy the way things turned out. @Joanne_Scope if I will pursue it, this time, I will ask a solicitor what's the best way to do it.   
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @cat6873, that's brilliant news, thank you for sharing!
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.