Asking the Tribunal for an extension on my award.? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Asking the Tribunal for an extension on my award.?

Options
milan1995
milan1995 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi there new to the site so please bare with me. 
I recently had an appeal for PIP and was successful in being awarded the high rate in both components.

When I received my decision notice there was a typo mistake on the length of my award, cut a long story short I had to write back to the tribunal and wait 3 weeks for the Judge to confirm the correction would be allowed. 

Due to this I could not apply for a mobility car which I needed. When I received the correction, I went to go. ahead and apply and was told because I was 20 days out of the 12 month deadline I was not successful in my application and I would need DWP or the Tribunal to grant me an extension on my award. 

Has as anyone had this or similar happen to them and had a good outcome, very worried I’m could possibly suffer because of a mistake I didn’t make.

Comments

• Jurph
    Jurph Community member Posts: 369 Pioneering
    Options
    I'm in a similar position but without the mistake. I waited 18 months for the tribunal and was awarded high mobility. The tribunal awarded me 4 years from my claim date in January 2018. I only have the award for 2years 3 month so can't take on a lease.

Interested to see the replies to this.
  • Jurph
    Options
    I think I read your post wrong.

Did you have a mobility car to start with? The delay in changing the date made you miss the year you had to get it back?
  • milan1995
    Options
    It’s such a shame really and unfortunate the whole process is enough stress never mind the delays, mistakes etc.. & no this was my first claim for PIP it’s just similar to you I made the claim back in feb 18 & just got the award. Why are you unable to take a lease out though you allowed as long as you have 12 months remaining on your claim?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,051 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Jurph said:
    I'm in a similar position but without the mistake. I waited 18 months for the tribunal and was awarded high mobility. The tribunal awarded me 4 years from my claim date in January 2018. I only have the award for 2years 3 month so can't take on a lease.

Who told you, you can't take out a lease for a mobility car with that award? As long as you have at least 12 month award left you can have a mobility car. See link for confirmation. https://www.motability.co.uk/about-the-scheme/who-can-join/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Hi,

I'm assuming you had a very short award, even though there was a mistake? I've not heard of anyone be successful in the Tribunal increasing the award length after the award was given. I think the only way you can do this through the Tribunal is if there's an error in law.

Other than that, through DWP it would normally be a change of circumstances but you already have Enhanced for both parts.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Jurph
    Options
    Jurph said:

Who told you, you can't take out a lease for a mobility car with that award? As long as you have at least 12 month award left you can have a mobility car. See link for confirmation. https://www.motability.co.uk/about-the-scheme/who-can-join/

I've got all mixed up I think. I had it in my head that I has to have 3 years award for a 3 year lease.

One of those weeks!
  • milan1995
    Options
    I was awarded it for 2 years from the February 2018 - July 2020. There was i typo mistake on the original tribunal letter which said July 2019. So it took me a long awhile to get the letter but I should have had just over a year left on my award. I’ve spoken to the tribunal and they’ve accepted responsibility for the issue so fingers crossed.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    There could still be problems here because as we are now almost at the end of August, you don't have 1 year left on the award and you need to have at least this when you place the order.  Have DWP now put the award into place? or are you still waiting for that?
  • milan1995
    Options
    They’ve put it in place it was the Tribunals decision but DWP advised me to ask them to extend the award.
  • milan1995
    Options
    And I’m aware of the 12 month rule mobility said they would disregard it being late if the extension was granted.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.