Carer Allowance effects on other benefits — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carer Allowance effects on other benefits

Sandri
Sandri Community member Posts: 4 Connected
Hi everyone, my son is an autistic, young person who has universal credit with LCWRA (limited capability for work and work-related activity. Recently, he was award with PIP (personal independence payment) enhanced rate daily living component and standard mobility needs.
I am not working and don't have any benefit. I would like to apply for carer allowance, but I don't want to affect his benefits. Please, if someone could give me some advice, many thanks.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

You claiming Carers allowance for your son won't affect his Universal Credit.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Sandri, this would have no affect on his benefits. You also would be entitled to a Carers Needs Assessment to see if there was any further support that could be provided. :)
    Scope

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello
    It should not affect his benefits. You would also be allowed to apply for a care needs assessment to determine what type of support is required. Phone your local council tomorrow morning. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello
    It should not affect his benefits.
    As advised, it definitely won't affect the son's benefits.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Sandri, how are you doing?
    Scope

• Sandri
    Sandri Community member Posts: 4 Connected
    Hi Chloe, I'm ok, thanks for your advice. I'll apply for carer allowance, I cross fingers.  :)
  • Silver925
    Silver925 Community member Posts: 106 Courageous
    Hi Sandrine My sister gets Carer's Allowance for looking after her husband if your still of working age and not claiming any benefits of your own this could be beneficial as you will get your NI Stamp paid. My sister was told to claim it for this reason. It will go towards your State Pension for the future. Good Luck

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.