Does PIP continue when I reach State pension age? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does PIP continue when I reach State pension age?

Options
ESABenefitsUK123
ESABenefitsUK123 Community member Posts: 71 Courageous
As per subject title -
1. Does PIP continue when I reach State pension age?
2. Also, am I right in thinking that PIP is not means tested?
Thanks a lot for any comments.

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @ESABenefitsUK123, PIP does continue past state pension age. However, if you had not claimed the mobility component before this age, you will be unable to do so. You also would not be able to move from the standard to enhanced rate of mobiity after the state pension age.

PIP is not means tested. :)
    Scope

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello, Chloe, has answered your questions fully but I would advise you to get good supporting evidence for your next assessment so as to keep your mobility allowance. I have read of many on high rate mobility and on reassessment have loss it or had it reduced to standard rate then ending up taking it to a MR then Tribunal hearing which is 12 months waits at the earliest.
  • JulieTuesday
    JulieTuesday Community member Posts: 51 Connected
    Options
    Hi, I wondered, at the moment I get mobility low payment on DLA and high on Living DLA does that mean as I am now pension age I 'could' get a higher Mobility please? just reading your above comment re pension age and thinking re my deterioration.   Thank you.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Options
    Hi @JulieTuesday, if you are at pension age then you wouldn't be able to claim higher mobility if you currently receive low mobility. If deterioration happens before pension age then you could put in a claim of your condition getting worse.

I hope this helps. :)
    Scope

• JulieTuesday
    Options
    OK, Thank you, I hope I get a higher Living allowance then.  Many thanks.  
  • Chloe_Scope
    Options
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,200 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi, I wondered, at the moment I get mobility low payment on DLA and high on Living DLA does that mean as I am now pension age I 'could' get a higher Mobility please? just reading your above comment re pension age and thinking re my deterioration.   Thank you.
    If you're transferring from DLA to PIP then yes it's possible to claim the Enhanced mobility this time. If you're not awarded Enhanced mobility and you decide not to request the MR/Tribunal then you won't be able to claim it in the future.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JulieTuesday
    Options
    Oh, thank you Poppy, yes I am transferring from DLA to PIP and was award both mobility and living on DLA indefinitely.  I am a bit scared to phone and ask for a copy of my assessment as I struggle on the phone to hear and talk so will leave that one, I won't be taking anything any further if I don't get a higher award sadly I just can't cope to do those sort of things. What will be will be! Thank you again for explaining, I have a small glimmer of hope now!  

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.