Pip and industrial injury — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip and industrial injury

helper
helper Community member Posts: 46 Courageous
Hi  friends. 
I have been told that industrial injury benefit is a qualifying benefit . And if I unsuccessful in my personal independence application that industrial injury benefit will be  taken into consideration.
If this is true I think it's totally ridiculous what are your thoughts on this regards 

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @helper, thank you for sharing this.

PIP will not have an affect on industrial injury benefit as they are assessed separately. I hope this helps. :)
    Scope

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Just to add to the advice Chloe's given above. Industrial Injuries benefit can affect any means tested benefits you claim so if you're claiming Income Related ESA/JSA/ Income Support, Universal Credit, housing benefit and pension credit. If you claim any of those then you'll need to report those changes.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • EmmaB
    EmmaB Community member Posts: 263 Pioneering
    Dear @helper
    I'm not entirely sure what your question is but neither Industrial Injury Disablement Benefit nor PIP are means tested. 
    If you apply for PIP it could be that the paperwork from your Industrial Injury Disablement Benefit application or award could be useful evidence that would 'back' your PIP claim.
    If your injury is recent you might need to bear in mind that in order to be entitled to PIP claimants have to satisfy a qualifying period of 3 months and a prospective test of 9 months ie your disability must potentially affect you for 12 months.
    The best place to go for advice on all this is your local CAB.
    I hope that helps.
    Best wishes.
    Emma 

• helper
    Hi emma  what I have been told is  because I get industrial injury and because it's for life and I have been getting it for 10 years what I have been told is that it is a qualifying benefit so whatever I get from personal independence payment the money that I get from industrial injury benefit will be taken into account and this will probably be reduce my personal independence payment
  • EmmaB
    Hi @helper
    I think you'd need to see someone at the CAB, they are busy but they should know the answer... I presume you can only get an industrial injury benefit for a disability that is very permanent and not for something like a bad back which has the potential to get better (eg within treatment/surgery)? 
    Emma
  • helper
    Just found out today that pip has  sent a email to  IIB asking on what percentage I get and how much money I get I suppose that might be a good thing because they might be going to give me the personal independence if they're asking them the question let's see what happens hopefully within the next two weeks they have said 
  • EmmaB
    @helper sounds like they could be using the information to make their decision... Fingers crossed!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    helper said:
    Hi emma  what I have been told is  because I get industrial injury and because it's for life and I have been getting it for 10 years what I have been told is that it is a qualifying benefit so whatever I get from personal independence payment the money that I get from industrial injury benefit will be taken into account and this will probably be reduce my personal independence payment
    Who ever advised you that is not correct, it doesn't have any affect on any PIP you maybe awarded by the Tribunal. If you're awarded then it definitely doesn't reduce the amount you can claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • helper
    Hi  this advice was from a staff member on the phone today from  department of communities here in northern Ireland . You call it there DWP I think.  They told me that the  decision maker has contacted the industrial injury benefit section to see what im getting before they make the final decision on my personal independence payment
  • EmmaB
    edited August 2019
    Hi. I'm wondering if what they mean is that they will use the evidence of your industrial injury benefit to ascertain the severity of your disability and then that evidence will  then help them determine level of PIP you get ie  standard or enhanced. So it sort of impacts on how much PIP you get in that sense. I hope that makes sense! Emma
  • helper
    Hi yes that makes perfect sense only thing is that was 10 years ago and there has been a lot of Change Plus I have an extra problem that's my left leg and I have told this to the assessor when she came to my home I have look at the descriptors 8 points for daily  8 points  for mobily and recommended 3 years I'm not sure if that is an indication that I was actually get it
  • EmmaB
    Hi @helper
    If your condition has changed then the PIP assessor should take that into account, they are assessing you as you are now and merely using the fact that you have the other benefit as evidence.  If you don't agree with the final outcome of the PIP assessment then you can appeal and go to tribunal. 
    I guess the thing is to put it out of your mind for a bit until you get the outcome and then you can decide if you need to do anything, because until that point you don't know what level they are giving you and it might turn out to be what you think is right!
    All the best.
    Emma
  • helper
    Hi  you are correct  im going to put it out of my mind and lets see what happens kind regards 
  • helper
    Hi  everyone. 
    Just wanted to let you know that I got  the  PIP  both standard rate  I don't think im going to  challenge the decision.  
    The simple reason is because I am going to get  an extra £35  a week in my  income support so that would make up for not getting there are enhanced care rate. Kind regards to everybody. 
  • EmmaB
    Hi @helper
    That's great news! 
    Best wishes.
    Emma
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @helper, that's great news and thank you for updating us!
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.